QLD On the ground in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by dan2101, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Catalyst

Catalyst Well-Known Member

Hi @Steven Ryan :) What is your definition of bread and butter houses?

Apologies for the dumb question. Just wanted to be sure :D

2. Catalyst

@dan2101 How long did it take to get a tenant, and did you get the rent you wanted?

3. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Last edited: 26th Sep, 2015
  4. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

When looking at Rochdale, daisy hill be mindful of the land slide. Use of pdonline and select land slide overlay. Brown patches show up which some buyers failed to find in their DD

5. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

Hey RR , do you mean the "Landslide Hazard and Steep Slopes Area Overlay"? There's 2 other overlays that can show up as lighter brown patches in the Logan interactive map and that's the 'acid sulfate soil' overlay and the 'bushfire hazard' overlay. You have to untick both overlays before The 'Landslide Hazard and Steep Slopes' overlay shows up as a deep dark brown. Sometimes a property may only be slightly affected by this 'steep slope' overlay (e.g. on a small edge of the boundary) and it won't be anything to worry about.

6. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

BG,
    only the OM-08 Landslide Hazard and Steep Slopes Area Overlay checked that showed dark brown colour. See map below.

The OM-01 Acid Sulfate Soils Overlay shows dotted brown, not a concern for me
    The OM-03.00 Bushfire Hazard Trigger, is a different colour.

I am not certain the implication of landslide overlay on properties and development. (maybe sumting or leveling of house be a concern, I am not sure...) There is no major headline news in history(?) that indicate landslid to be a problematic. However if you look at the maps, these brown colored patches are zoned as roads/open space or no house built on it. In the recent LCC zoning, none these got rezoned to higher density.

At least one of the Agent indicated to me to watch out for landslide properties in Rochedale South.

upload_2015-9-26_20-35-29.png

R377 likes this.
  7. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Catalyst it had a tenant signed up on an existing lease until mid next year unfortunately. Lovely people but they are only paying $370. Coat of paint and a tidy up and it will fetch around $410-$420ish.

Was up there this weekend. My mate purchased in a legatee. I went to a few auctions to try and jag a bargain but no luck. Seems everyone had the same idea.

Catalyst likes this.
  8. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

Just an observation - you'd think with heat in some parts of the market they'd be more auctions rather than marketing with a price and taking offers.

9. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Actually both the volume of properties sold via auction, and the auction clearance rate, have been increasing week to week in Brisbane in thr last few weeks.

10. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Just think of the median house. Not the cheapest of cheap or the top of the top.

Catalyst and Bran like this.
  11. Catalyst

Thanks @Steven Ryan

So bread and butter houses could be different in the different suburbs?

12. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

On the ground again this weekend in Brisbane. Inspected a few houses in Everton Park - only a few other punters at each house - mainly FHB.

Inspected another in Stafford - at least 20 seperate groups - house inside needed a lot of work but nice exterior and big block. Amazing difference only a few minutes drive from each other.

13. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

What part of Everton Park was it? The better part IMO is properties located closer to Brookside shopping centre, Mt Maria college and Mitchelton train station.

14. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

15. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

16. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

When i was buying there were 2 or 3 times as many ppl at stafford, staff heights and chermside then any other surrounding subrubs - arana, everton, aspley, keperra etc

17. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

A lot would avoid in Brisbane if they saw auction.. maybe a good way to get a good deal if a buyer though.

I looked at a couple of places in Stafford a couple of months ago, was getting busier, but sounds like Spring rush is on in full.

Last edited: 5th Oct, 2015
  18. Steven Ryan

Yep. Just what the typical demographic in the area is typically after which naturally varies from place to place.

Catalyst likes this.
  19. Catalyst

@Steven Ryan What is your process to determine...
    (a) typical demographic - speak to PM? ABS website?
    (b) what they buy - check recent sales in the median range?

20. Steven Ryan

@Catalyst. You're on the right track. The ABS data (much of which is organised in a prettier way on http://profile.id.com.au/ is a great starting point supplemented with what you can learn from PMs, fellow investors etc.

And yeah, look at sales data. You will quickly identify the outlier properties.

Keep in mind this is just my method to minimise perceived risk. The top and bottom of the market seem to be more volatile and I'd like to own stuff that's going to be in continual high demand from both owner occupiers and renters.

Catalyst likes this.