QLD On the ground in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by dan2101, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd post some observations from on the ground in Brisbane over the past few weeks.

Being from Sydney I did a fair bit of research prior to heading up and was focused on everton park/hills, Stafford, mitchellton, keperra, ferny grove in the north and carina, mount gravatt, Salisbury, macgregor, sunnybank and Runcorn in the south.

First couple of trips up I did heaps of driving and trying to get familiar with all the suburbs as well as attending lots of inspections.

Put offers in on properties in everton park, keperra and ferny grove. All of these offers were made within a few days of properties coming on the market and 5-10k OVER asking price. All three properties sold well above what I offered. Talking to agents I got the impression that most properties were selling for 5-10% above advertised price.

After spending a lot of time in sunnybank/Runcorn I decided to focus there (main reason being it is a hub for the Chinese and anyone from Sydney would know the influence this has had on prices in the Epping, Eastwood, ryde areas). Ended up buying in Runcorn for $465k (advertised price 449k). I Actually purchased unseen. I was on the computer basically as the ad came on at lunchtime and had it under contract by that evening (in which time the agent had received 5 other offers).

Moral of the story. If something comes on reasonably priced make a strong offer and snap it up! The market is definitely heating up and well priced properties are selling quickly.

Cheers

Dan

ndpjai, AaronR, Sackie and 2 others like this.
  2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Dammit don't steal my strategy!!:)

Anyway congrats. You didn't happen to buy the one on Methil did you?

3. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Similar observations to my own (over the past 2 months, 5-15km south of the CBD).

Bread and butter houses going in a matter of days for above asking price.

Plenty of first home buyers and increasing interstate investor activity.

4. dan2101

Haha sorry jaybean!

Nah 25 bruna street. Valuation and building and pest came in all good today so pretty happy!

5. dan2101

Yeh Steve the guy that drove me to the rental car depot said they are getting invaded by Sydney siders haha.

6. jaybean

I can't even find any trace of it online, I assume you asked the agent to remove it.

Anyway that's surprisingly cheap. Good buy. I've found a lot of agents doing their vendor's a disservice by not knowing the market. That could have gone for $500k easily (I know the area very well, just bought in Runcorn myself). But I bet you're not complaining:)

7. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Did you fly to Bris or the Gold Coast?

I had a passenger in one of those rental car drop off vans at the Gold Coast ask me if I'd been at open homes that day. He'd just bought a place. He was from Sydney as well.

8. dan2101

Hey jaybean it's on domain. About 5th or 6th from the top for 449k. Don't think it even made it on to realestate.com. Yeh it seemed like a good deal to me. It's dated inside but solid with only a couple of minor things needing repair.

Steve I flew into Brisbane. Alot of the agents also commented that they had been selling to a lot of southerners.

9. jaybean

HA! I see why it sold so cheap. Out of town agent. I scored a similar deal last year for the same reason. Why on earth would anyone not find a local to sell is beyond me. You should be over the moon, very solid price. I would buy that.

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've been looking in this general area for a while, Mitchelton and Stafford have increased a fair bit, so looking a little further out. Things definitely selling quickly out that way.

11. dan2101

Thanks jaybean! Always good to get some validation.

Azazel i saw a new property come online for 415k around lunchtime which looked great value so I booked an appointment with an agent to view at 5pm. 5:30 came around and no sign of the agent so I jumped online to double check if I had the correct address and it was already under contract. That was in keperra.

12. jaybean

They also did the vendor a huge disservice by not putting up the address. It's right near the shops, which would have sent another few offers their way. These agents are clueless.

13. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Be interested to know who you used for building/pest inspections on the northside of Brissy and if you found them any good? Looking to possibly sell one of my Brissy IPs and would like to get the once-over before I put it on the market...

14. dan2101

Jacque i used Brisbane pre purchase inspections. They were really good. Along with identifying any defects they included heaps of photos and an estimate of what it would cost to fix each problem.

Nick14 and Jacque like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We were talking to our builder friend yesterday. He is doing the steps required to allow him to do building inspections so as he gets too old for the building game, he can do inspections.

Jacque, if you are after a builder to let you know what needs doing, but don't need the actual report, I could send you his details. He cannot as yet do an official building report but he is the builder we've had do several jobs for us and he knows what he is doing.

EN710 likes this.
  16. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Thanks guys!

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you do want his name it is Owen Ferguson 0411 199 233

Jacque likes this.
  18. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Agree that Brisbane is heating up - lots of young investors too. I had a few other sharks circling a property I was after on Saturday. Lining up at the car hire at the airport I had several other investors in the line in front of me.

Even if my trip last weekend doesn't end up resulting in a purchase I still got more on the ground knowledge and the attention of a few agents who understand what I am after.

19. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

great to hear.... :mad::mad::mad:
    i dont like crowds. but even though i wont be going over the thought of it still sickens me. is there a ratio of punters to how much over the price goes? @Steven Ryan surely youve done some calcs or have the data

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I've bought, settled Monday of last week. I reckon that's the end of me buying for now so I'll just sit back and relax and watch you guys fight like seagulls over chips shall I... ;)

EN710 likes this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF