On-site managers, costs and what they do (QLD)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by luckyone, 12th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I've been looking at townhouses in Brisbane the last couple of weekends and have noticed that many of them have onsite managers. The body corporate fees seem to be a lot more expensive than other cities due to this. So what exactly do they do for the money? I've been told for the townhouse that I'm interested in that the $4,000 odd per townhouse per annum covers maintenance (not sure what type of maintenance), insurance, pool cleaning and maintenance, and maintenance of the BBQ area.

Is that all that is included? And is $4,000pa for a 20 townhouse complex with a pool reasonable (it's also a gated complex). Does it also cover rates? I thought ours did in Canberra, but I might have that wrong. And does maintenance include things like if I need some general maintenance done within the townhouse itself? The lines seem blurry to me from the few real estate agents I've spoken to.

Thanks for your help.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't include rates.

Nor does it cover any maintenance inside the townhouse, that is your responsibility. Sometimes you can come to a private arrangement with the manager to do some things fir you, e.g., mowing a private courtyard.

The onsite manager will receive a wage and will probably be responsible for gardening, shrub trimming and lawn mowing, pool cleaning, cleaning of any common areas and general handyman maintenance not needing a licenced tradesman, I.e., touching up paintwork or changing tap washers. Many onsite managers also manage rentals in the complex.
    Marg

luckyone likes this.
  3. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Onsite managers can fall into two categories or a combination of both - building managers or property management.

Here's a thread on the latter if you'd like to read -

Onsite vs. Outside PM - Brisbane

luckyone likes this.
  4. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

Thanks for that! I'll read that tonight.

MyPropertyPro likes this.