On average do you have more tenant problems with properties in low socioeconomic areas?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Guest, 12th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

On average do you have more problems with properties in low socioeconomic areas?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    59.1%
  1. househuntn

househuntn Well-Known Member

Good question, like to hear the answer too

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

IMO on the balance of probability you would get more trouble from a tenant from a scummy area than one from where they talk with a plum in their mouth.

What helps, regardless of the area, is

• having a liveable functioning property
    • a reasonable landlord
    • an efficient and understanding PM
    • good tenant selection

3. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

In some circumstances it is possible but normally not likely to happen. The things that will make a difference are ventilation, type of cooking and frequency of cleaning.

But if the prospective tenant is screened property and carefully selected then it shouldn't be of any concern. Normally you will get some indication from their previous property manager or from their clothes.

If there was some concern and you didn't have any other options, you could always start them off with a 4 month lease and do an inspection after the first 3 months. This will allow you to pick up any potential issues and advise the tenants or give them notice in order to find new tenants.

househuntn likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Sounds reasonable. But if I was on the 4 month lease myself i'd hesitate from taking up such a short lease. I've had a few Indian and Chinese tenants and I found any cooking smells go away fairly quickly. I'd avoid urine or cigarette smells though...

Maybe use a good filter on a rangehood and ask them to change it frequently if you are worried?
    Ps. Indian tenants may stay away from light coloured benchtops - too much time required for cleaning. (Those tenants were absolutely the best though. No trouble ever. I also have a middle eastern type family in another place... absolutely terrific and they will tell me if any thing is needing repair or what not. The best. :))

5. Nick Valsamis

This situation wouldn't apply to you though Gockie, but for other tenants that do not have a strong rental history with references will consider 4 months as a trial basis.

Smells could go away quickly, but if you have a tenant cooking with lots of spices and oil everyday for 2 years and no cleaning up, then it would be a different story.

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

lol.
    I wasn't always a millionaire ;) and I didn't start with a rental history...
    But yeah... i've only ever rented one place and that was in Chatswood West. Both of us with professional jobs at that stage. Not exactly a place where the bottom of the Socioeconomic demographic tends to be found residing in any large numbers...

7. Nick Valsamis

Even then, 2 people with professional jobs and well presented is pretty much 80% of the perfect tenant.

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've heard it many times.
    A guy at work said he had to remove cupboard doors in an IP kitchen to try and get the stink out.

9. Cbrgirl

Cbrgirl Well-Known Member

This is a worry. Soooo... how do I now tell the PM that I don't want particular ethnic groups who are likely to ruin my newly renovated kitchen (all white) with oils, spices and cooking smells? Can I put a clause in the lease stating there be no odours and kitchen damage? Will the smell also get into my curtains and carpets (which are also quite new)?

10. Nick Valsamis

Tell them over the phone what you want. Or you can just say that you are not happy with that tenant and you want to look for another one.

Cbrgirl likes this.
  11. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Dont say anything except you want final say over the tenant selection.

Cbrgirl likes this.
  12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Smells are much more likely to get in carpet and curtains. Just depends how hard it is to get certain smells out.

Cbrgirl likes this.