Old Weatherboard House Renovation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Melbpositivegeared, 23rd Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Melbpositivegeared

Melbpositivegeared Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I've renovated before but have never taken on a large challenge. I currently have my eye on an extremely run down weatherboard cottage. There is clearly a lot of wood rot all over.

My question is: How do I deal with this and what kind of expenses can I expect? This is a real cheapie in a tiny regional town. I'm wanting to complete a full renovation inside and out for $30k if I'm to make enough profit. I can source a second hand kitchen and pick up the bathroom pretty cheap but have no idea what kind of costs I will expect to restore the outside.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated

2. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Any photos? There is no way to fix rot, the eaves on my place recently fell down, I thought I would just screw a piece of fibro back up. All the timber was rotten under the eaves and had to be replaced.

I would be wary that if the clad is rotten parts of your frame may be too.

Taku Ekanayake and Tim86 like this.
  3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

You just replace the boards. Costs as much as new boards cost provided you cut out the old ones and nail in the new yourself. Boards are what... $4per m?

Paying someone to do all the work would cost considerably more.