Old gas stove vs new ceramic stove

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mark, 7th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Sorry I cant answer that question, I really don't know. We buy new appliances because if I want a used one and there is nothing available at the time in the local area, the cost of transport and time negates the price of buying cheaper than new.

With built-ins, you are up for a cabinet, cutting a hole in the benchtop and installing two appliances.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

"If it is not working"
    "replacement after settlement"

Wait, what?
    If it's not settled yet, and not an "as is" offer, you should have an appendix condition as part of the contract that all electrical, gas, plumbing etc are in working order, which you test during pre-settlement inspection

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

I bought the house in auction. An electrician had a look at it and said that there are no circuit breakers but fuses. He said it costs at least $1800 to upgrade it to switchboard with circuit breakers. I think $1800 is possibly over quoted.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You can replace fuses with those individual plug in switches pretty cheaply.

Of course, he may have meant you need to upgrade the switchboard?

In Melbourne last year that cost me $880 including a couple of safety switches.

6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Sounds like it, shop around, but if the tradies are busy in the area and it's a crappy job they'll quote high.

HPM 16 Amp Plug-In Circuit Breaker
    Need the correct one for required amperage

7. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Just got another price today $750. Big price difference. It can save lots of money by getting multiple quotes.

Perthguy and WestOz like this.
  8. Vk8975

Vk8975 Well-Known Member

What was your purchase price and how much are you looking to spend on the total reno? Just remember to not overcapitalise....very common amongst first time renovators.

There are a few members on this forum like Taku who buy, reno and revalue with good success. I'd be following their lead.

WestOz likes this.
  9. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

I bought it for $290k and am looking at spending $15 -20k. I had a chat with Taku and got some good advice from him. It is a balance act. Certainly want to delay some expenses if I can.

Perthguy and Vk8975 like this.
  10. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Will ask the electrician whether they can help
    Thanks for your advice. Can I install the plug in switches by myself? Have you done that before?

11. Vk8975

Vk8975 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great buy. If you can get a decent reno done for under $20k you will definitely manufacture equity at that price point.

Good luck!

12. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Completed the reno. Happy with the new kitchen. Kitchen + install $5500. Electrical works 450. plumbing 400 Appliances 1000. See the attached before and after reno photos. Thanks for the great advice from you guys

Attached Files:

13. Vk8975

Vk8975 Well-Known Member

Mate the kitchen looks much better! kudos

How is the rest of your reno going?

14. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

It went well. I painted the house(internal), rennovated the bathroom, replaced two stairs, polished the floor, installed aircon...... Completed the works in about 16 days. It is a big learning curve.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia