Old Duplex- not subdivided properly?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by nicsau1, 31st Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. nicsau1

nicsau1 Member

Hopefully someone can answer this soon for me please.
    I'm interested in a property, that is part of a duplex . The land title gives the whole land block size, and does not state the individual land sizes that each half is on.
    What should i be concerned about with this?
    The realestate agent has told me that this is not very common, but this is what it is for this property. She has told me, that according to the title/law , it means that the owner of each half of the duplex owns the total land block equally. However, from googlemaps I can see the half that the building that I want to purchase is approx 1/3rd of the whole block land. There is a common wall for this duplex.
    Thanks.

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Get the plans, either lot and DP or strata plan. And do some measuring.

Or if you do not know what they are, get a surveyor.

Ted Varrick and Tom Simpson like this.
  3. nicsau1

nicsau1 Member

Thanks.
    I received the Certificate of Title, which shows the area sqm of the 2 buildings, but it doesnt show the land block measurements, it also doesn't show the boundaries, it only states that the boundary is made by the common wall, but it doesn't show which part of the land belongs to who beyond that common wall.
    Is there a separate strata plan or other plan document I am to ask for?

4. Gavin Ng

Gavin Ng Well-Known Member

I wouldn't check anything. If you are serious about purchasing this property, get a copy of the contract and send it straight to your conveyancer. You're paying them for the liability and the accountability.

If you're just curious, check the title search, if it's a Torrens title duplex, it will usually be lot 1 of dp12345 and lot 2 of dp12345 for the two dwellings. Then check the deposited plan and see that the lot is the one you are buying, then make sure that is the lot described in the contract.

5. nicsau1

nicsau1 Member

So, there are no boundaries shown on the land title/building plan. It is one block 1o50sqm.
    I am wanting to buy, but Im worried about how do they determine who owns what? Im assuming it means legally, my neighbour would be able to walk into my backyard, since technically we own 50% the land equally, even though frm googlemaps it appears the fencing of my side would be 40% of the block.