Old 1970's house - Brick Wall spalling/powdering

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by theweirddude, 2nd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. theweirddude

theweirddude Active Member

Hey there,

I bought a house in the hills in Sydney couple of years ago. I have noticed the side garage wall bricks are in pretty bad shape. There is a drain (lawn drainage/excess water drainage, its not part of the sewer system).

There used to be a pool close to garage around 15 years ago which was filled in by previous owners.

I am guessing its a damp course failure issue, so wondering whats involved, is it repairable or i have to spend a significant amount doing that. Any pointers would be good regarding a ballpark figure as I have 0 idea about its.

The wall is about 9 meters long.
    IMG_6282.jpg IMG_6284.jpg IMG_6281.jpg

Also Welcome to share any trades as well.

2. theweirddude

theweirddude Active Member

Bumping this up. Any starting point would be really appreciated. ar this time I’m not even sure where to start and which trade to call.
    obviously it’s super hard to get builders to come and have a look. Any alternatives?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes, it's typical salt attack due to failed damp proof course.

A bricky can cut out the mortar joint behind the skirting, slot in new dpc and repoint, then repeat for the alternative sections.

They will also wash down the walls to dilute the salts or treat the efflorescence.

Any bricks which are friable should also be replaced.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I’ve had the problem for many years. I’ve done zilch. House still standing.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.