Health & Family Ohhh..... I blame volleyball.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 12th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

"Knees have patellofemoral issues with right knee MRI showing localised moderately extensive grade 4 chondral loss of central trochlea and grade 2/3 chondromalacia patellae and a small effusion with minor reactive synovitis."

patellofemoral - The patellofemoral joint is where your patella (kneecap) and femur (thigh bone) meet at the front of your knee
    chondral - cartilage
    Grade IV - The cartilage may wear away completely, leaving the underlying bone exposed in small or widespread areas. When the involved areas are large, pain usually becomes more severe, causing a limitation in activity.
    Chondromalacia patellae - also known as “runner’s knee,” is a condition where the cartilage on the undersurface of the patella (kneecap) deteriorates and softens. This condition is common among young, athletic individuals, but may also occur in older adults who have arthritis of the knee.
    Joint effusion - commonly referred to as water on the knee or fluid on the knee, is the abnormal accumulation of fluid in or around a joint.
    Synovitis - Describes prominent joint inflammation in which the most dramatic inflammation is of the synovium. This is a thin layer of cells that lines our joints.

2. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Translation: you have a bung knee

Redwing likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Pretty much why I had to give up badminton.

The Y-man

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I have tennis elbow from archery. I haven't played tennis for 20 years. Fortunately it's easily treatable.

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Ouch.

Would you need knee surgery?

6. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

:p I was about to recommend archery as a relatively sedentary sport (I was on the national team a few years ago)

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.
  7. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

26 years of hockey (started age 4) turned 30 earlier this year... wheels have pretty much fallen off, 1st hammy > sciatic nerve > knee.
    Having surgery on this time next week on the knee.
    If it doesn't come back good next year will be putting the hockey stick on the rack and focusing on golf.

8. Gockie

Good luck with it! Brady, you could switch to unicycle hockey, it doesn't have the same knee impact. ;)

My 20 odd years of volleyball has got to be the cause of mine.

The only real issue/s I face is that it impacts my ability to right leg squat (it's just not possible for me) and I favour using my left leg when going down stairs. When I need to use my right leg going down a step I tend to collapse (free fall) my descent till my left foot reaches solid ground, rather than control my downward movement using my right leg muscles. I'm sure long term this isn't so good for my left side. I think it also causes some weirdness in unicycle pedalling, but I can cope with it.

9. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Isn't this an oxymoron, rather like 'military intelligence'? :confused:

chylld likes this.
  10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

At this stage I'm fortunate that I don't have any locking/giving way, I've got stairs at home which are no problem.
    It's only when I'm pushing at 90-100% or moving directions, pretty much what happens constantly with hockey.
    My father played hockey when he was younger, on much harder surfaces. He's had 1 knee replacement and the other isn't too far off it.
    I don't want to push that far, would prefer to take up other activities.

Hopefully you're able to continue doing what you love.

11. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Archery is giving me some very strong back muscles and I have a great tan (even through winter), but it isn't making me any fitter...

Brady, Phantom and chylld like this.
  12. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I hear ya. I’m walking for about an hour most days but I’m not losing any weight either.

13. Gockie

On the positive side... No mention of any ligament damage :)

14. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Yay. After an ACL tear that led to a knee reconstruction, my left knee is pretty damaged. My take home is to either avoid knee reconstruction if possible, or if needed, plenty and plenty of pre- and post- surgery strengthening.

Brady likes this.
  15. Peppas

Peppas Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, I have a ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair coming up in mid January :(

16. Gockie

Best of luck, Jan's just around the corner!

17. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Sorry, not meaning to be a downer, just reflecting on what I would tell my younger self. Because I didn't put the effort in to build and maintain my muscles around my knee before and after the op, my knee buckles more easily and running is basically off the table (I enjoy running).

My recon was in 2004 so I'm sure that the info is excellent now, together with a good physio in your corner.

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Chris Au likes this.
  19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Probably slightly better than darts - at least you don't have to have beer before every shot.

The Y-man

20. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Had a meniscus tear operation back in 2010, after years of forceful twisting playing squash. Was advised at the time to focus on water based activities (swimming, surfing, scuba diving) as obviously less continual jarring of the knee region.
    I would far rather swim than run as the constant impact (pounding the pavement) takes its toll.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia