Offsetting stock losses against property sale profits

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by robbie_p, 17th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I am just looking for some very high level advice here…

In September 2019 (this tax year) we sold and Investment property. There was a profit of about $100-120k.

We had owned the property for 5 years. I’m a salaried employee (+$100k pa) and my wife doesn’t work.

I put about $15k into stocks, which have now dropped about 30%, therefore I have a potential loss of about $4,500.

I always see myself as a long term investor, so I am more than happy to to hold into my stocks for the next 20 years.

At the same time, it might be a good opportunity to sell my shares, take a $4,500 loss and try to offset these losses against the profits made from the sale of my property.

I know if I sell my stocks now ill make a $4,500 loss, but how much will that loss be reduce the tax payable on the profits made on the sale of my property? Will it reduce the tax payable by $4,500 therefore potentially no loss at all?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Robbie

Last edited: 17th Mar, 2020
  2. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Why would you be paying tax on your PPOR?
    Was it ever an IP?

Paul@PAS likes this.
  3. robbie_p

Sorry, it became a IP after we moved interstate.

4. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

If you incur a $4.5k capital loss this will be offset against your net capital profit. The discount, if eligible, will then be applied and then your marginal tax rate.

So one option if that you will save $877.50

4500 x 50% x 39%

There can be other answers as well.

5. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Did you buy interstate new PPOR?

6. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

just keep shares. they will go up one day. don't be panic.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would be considering whether to sell the shares first. Once a loss is taken its done.
    Then determine what the true tax position is for the property. Worst case its a profit but its what it is - It could also be a loss or $0. You may be absle to make CGT choices eg absence, you may have not used the market value at the date it first rented and allowed selling costs etc. The loss can offset a profit if there is one. But dont sell shares just for this issue

8. robbie_p

I was just exploring the options. I still have a fair amount of cash i wont to put into the ASX, however, I'm going to be very cautious over the coming months and put in smaller amounts.

As mentioned, I'm seeing my stocks as a long term investments, so I'm sure it will all sort itself out by then :)

9. Paul@PAS

You could wait for the base and double down.

10. robbie_p

What exactly does this mean? Would it be something along the lines are waiting for prices to drop further, buy some more stocks, which would bring my average buy price down?

11. Paul@PAS

Dollar cost averaging.

Lets say you purchased 100 CBA x $83 several months ago for $8300 now valued at $65.66
    You buy another 100 CBA x $65.66 assuming the market has bottomed (or wait until it does) and is just reacting to short term panic and you belive the economy will rebound.

So you now own 200 CBA at an avg cost $73.33
    In three months the market recovers to $75 per share. You sell all 200 and there is no loss - a small profit. You lost $10 on one parcel and made $10 on the other

12. robbie_p

Dollar cost averaging is EXACTLY what im planning to do in the coming months.. as you said, bring my average buy price down.. always buying a fair bit less than my current average buy price.

Paul@PAS likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia