Offset put in IO loan or PI loan

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by oneone, 27th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

a maths question
    I have 80K to park in an offset. One loan is at 4.2% PI and another is 4.65% IO. Both are investment loans. Which loan should I put the offset funds against ?
    I would save more with the higher % loan but would it be worth putting it in the PI loan to help pay off the principal faster ?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Different cash flow out comes too.

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

depends on what your goals are.

Biggest interest saving on the surface come from the highest rate with the offset typically.

Do you have or will you have any non deductible debt ?

ta
    rolf

4. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

thanks for comments
    I don't have any nondeductible debt at the moment.
    Will probably have some in about a year's time (plan to move into an IP). With that in mind, I would like to keep as much cash on hand as possible

5. Rolf Latham

so that makes it simpler

if you place cash into the offset with the PI loan, typically the repayments wont reduce and your cashflow thus savings wont be better.

if you place into the IO offset typically the payment reduces.......... thus savings greater

ta

rolf

mc.tram and Ethan Timor like this.
  6. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

thanks rolf, that makes sense for the current situation

I was thinking ahead to when the IO period is over and both become PI, at some stage I will start paying the P down for both, and whether its better to start doing that with the current PI loan first.

7. Ethan Timor

Ethan Timor Well-Known Member

+1 on Rolf’s reply.

You just added more variables to the query, though.

When will the IO end?

To which of the IPs will you be moving to? When?

You could get bogged down in the scenarios but ultimately you could always change your mind and move the funds from one offset to another, right? So you could do what’s best for you now and change later as you go (plans tend to change, things tend to get delayed etc)

8. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Your offset funds earn a greater return if its offsetting a higher interest rate account, so it generally makes sense to put it in there. This will improve your cash flow too as your repayments will fall when offsetting an IO loan. If you don't want your repayment to fall, use the interest savings from the offset to pay down debt (some of the less functional lender offset accounts do this automatically).

9. Bombers86

Bombers86 Well-Known Member

Hey guys (all knowledgeable brokers), I have a query similar to this also if that is ok to ask for some help.

Currently I have about $50-$60K to put into an offset against one of my loans.

Loan 1 - $240K IO @3.94%
    Loan 2 - $270K P&I @ 4%

I would usually just put the offset in the IO account to reduce repayments (ie. cash flow). But, as this loan is fixed I only have the offset linked available for 40% of it (whereas the P&I is 100% offset). I cannot seem to work out which account I would be saving more interest in as the amount of interest saved by the offset against the P&I loan is confusing me... Argh.

Pete_81 likes this.
  10. Rolf Latham

assuming neither is deductible, park in the the 100 % offset PI
    wont reduce your repayments .........but will save lots of interest

Do you have or will you have any future non tax ded debt ? This may change the view - maybe

ta
    rolf

11. Bombers86

Great thanks Rolf! No unfortunately no tax ded debt - I do have a car loan of about 25K remaining though so wondering if just to pay that off as well as it is at over 6% interest for another 2.5 years to go. But I kind of want to keep the cash for now... Hmm haha.

12. Rolf Latham

that hassle :)

having ones cake and eating it too.

6 % isnt bad for a car loan........

Id do some detailed but quick sums on that with your own personal numbers and see how it pans out.

Plenty people here can get that done

ta
    rolf

Bombers86 likes this.
  13. Bombers86

I just love cake though! No, thank you - I completely understand. I'll have a look at some numbers. Just back to the offset against the P&I or IO. I am also wondering, what methods are there to actually reduce the Principal & Interest repayment per month? I understand having money in the offset will reduce the interest component, increasing the repayment of the principal component thus ending the life of the loan earlier.. But the monthly amounts are still fixed correct? What if I simply just wanted lower repayments based on the amount I have in the offset account ($50K - $100K)? Instead of paying more of the principal amount down? I hope this makes sense..

14. Rolf Latham

I guess the end game here is either increased cashflow, or future tax deductability of the property.

Place the cash into the offset with the IO loan

If you have the capacity, look perhaps to find a lender that has low IO PI rates with offset.......... believe it or not, they are out there, in the 4.2 to 4.3 or lower depending on volume - qualifying for them is the key.

There are some other options including redraw, thence having the lender recalculate the repayment based on the new balance - but this has major issues, which you must get credit, and tax advice on before you consider same.

ta
    rolf

Bombers86 likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.