Offset account using Business funds

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Dsign, 5th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

Hi,

My accountant hasn't got back to me so thought it would be a good opportunity to ask.

If i put my cash sitting in my business account into my investment offset acccount does this affect my tax situation?

I intend on letting it sit in there for a few months and transferring it back when need be to reduce the balance.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

by business do you mean company?

3. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

Yes, i have a PTY LTD company

4. Terry_w

In that case the money is not yours so you will have to consider the legal implications as well as the taxation implications - it could be taxed as a dividend under Divsion 7A.
    Best not to do.

5. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry!

Terry_w likes this.
  6. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Please seek your own advice and confirmation on this from your accountant...but I think you want to do what I do, when we have excess cash sitting in our business accounts, can we utilize it or park it elsewhere?
    I have asked my accountant about parking our Business cash (yes PTY LTD but a corporate trustee for Trusts!) into adult kid offsets where we lent the actual funds to our adult kid for investment (the offsets are actually in our names too as we split the loans into many so a bit more complicated too).
    The response was:
    With regards to the loans to X's offset, you have the option of charging interest but generally we would just leave these as "interest free" related party loans.
    Terry, so why would this be a problem if it is treated as a loan and then repaid back? My question was whether I need to charge the interest on this loan and the accountant said no as we can treat these as 'interest free' related party loans.

7. Terry_w

Different for trusts as they are a flow thru entity. As long as. No unpaid present entitlements there would be no div7a issues

8. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

If you have an unpaid present entitlement to a company “bucket company” and you do that you have division 7a issues

In the last month have picked up a bunch of new clients with these very issues. Im amazed many accountants still arent on top of division 7a.

One we didnt take on as the problem was massive.

Soon ato will start auditing this area and watch millions of dollars roll in.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yes the proposed changes to D7A may become a trap for many

10. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

The proposed changes wont change the current situation described above. Div 7a applies even without the proposed changes.

Paul@PAS and Terry_w like this.
  11. Terry_w

The existing Div7A laws are a already a trap for many

I have a client who moved bucket company funds to a related trust with no paperwork what so ever. He says his accountant said it was fine as there was no tax advantage as all the money ended up in his family hands anyway. No interest was paid to the company either.

12. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

oh dear !!!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia