Offset account mortgage changed to P + I from interest only

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by NedKelly, 19th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

I am trying to get my head around what has happened with a mortgage I have with First Mac. It is a 30-year $300,000 loan with the first 5 years being interest only. I managed to pay $200,000 into the offset account from the sale of another property during this period and my interest in now just over $400 per month.

Now that 5 years has passed the mortgage has become principal and interest but they have calculated the repayments based on the original $300,000 loan amount so the repayments have now jumped to $1700 per month (which is unsustainable by me from a cash flow perspective). They have "kindly" offered to split the repayment between my bank account and the offset account so that $400 comes from my bank and $1300 comes from my offset account but then I will have to pay extra interest on the $1300 each month because it is not being offset. At this rate, if I don't redraw, the mortgage will be cleared in 5 years which is ridiculous for a 25 year mortgage. I asked them to reduce the amount I can draw down from the offset account by the amount of principal I have to repay each month but they weren't interested in doing that.

So it feels that I am having to pay interest on my own money when I repay the $1300 principal every month.

Any ideas?

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Everything you've described is fairly normal behaviour for an interest only loan converting to principal & interest repayments.

About the only thing you can do about it is refinance to another interest only loan. If Firstmac won't do this for you (which wouldn't be surprising), you'll need to move to a different lender.

This does all raise the question. Why do you want to stay on interest only? Given you're not really paying any interest as it is it can't be for tax purposes. If you've set aside the money for something else, then what's stopping you from implementing that? At the end of the day, paying off debt isn't a bad thing.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Repayments based on original loan with pi

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

FM may allow a limit recalc which will help slow the decay a little

ta
    rolf

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

My read of this is you will NOT pay extra interest, as the $1,300 is a "principal capital move" between your offset and loan - i.e. you are paying down the loan by $1,300 so you don't pay interest on this in the future.

Keeping the offset at the same amount as before would be not rational, as you would have more in the offset than you owe on the loan?

The Y-man

Athikalaka likes this.
  6. NedKelly

Yes Y-man. I think you are correct on the interest because they take both accounts as one so I suppose this must drop the available draw down. They didn't say that to me.

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Pretty much the same with all lenders AFAIK

ta
    rolf

8. NedKelly

It's useful to have the funds available and I do have another project I am looking at.