Offset account for Investment property?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Troypl, 16th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Troypl

Troypl New Member

hi,
    This is my scenario, just changed banks to a pure investment loan covering 535k, will be moving out and living with parents while I save for another home (PPR). Now I have about 70k of savings and adding to that at the rate of about 5k each month. QN, with a rate of 4.14 Percent and a rent of 750 week I will be slightly positive geared, now with my savings in the account I will be really positively geared, should I keep as this will make me about another 10k a year in savings? Yes I understand I have to pay tax on this but the way I see it, that is income so I will still be making money rather than not?

Thanks guys

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You should keep your cash in the offset account unless you can find another place where it can generate more than 4.14% return.

3. Troypl

Troypl New Member

Yea, if I want quick access to this cash I would think leaving it the offset account attached to the IO investement loan would be good as it it's basically increasing the amount of positive cash flow. That way I can take it out at any time and still have the original loan of 535k as deductible loan.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Investing in the safety of your own mortgage can be a good thing.

For those with non working/low income spouses, cashflow analysis may show that they are better off placing that cash into a TD et al, thus paying no / little tax.

ta
    rolf