Office 365 or ??

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by See Change, 6th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

i use Evernote as my digital data base , syncs across all platforms .

Last time I updated outlook it didn't have the capacity to sync data bases / different email addresses across Windows , Mac and mobile devices . We've just got a new desk top with window 10 , but also use iPhones and iPads .

We have our own domains and different emails with netregistry , which I note now offers a managed exchange in appears to sync outlook after 2003 .

We currently manage different emails on different computers but would like to merge these and then to sync outlook , calanders , contacts across our various devices .

Has anyone had experience doing this and how did it work out ? Google apps has been suggested as an alternative . Any other thoughts ?

Cliff

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Office 365 works great for me across multiple devices. Also my staff are in various locations and use it across various devices. Never heard any complaints, but our legal software will not tie in with google so we don't have a choice either.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I work with the gurgle docs. Instantly synching across devices - just takes a little getting used to.

4. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Google Apps works a treat.

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've used both Google Apps and Office 365. I much prefer Office 365.

Propertunity and geoffw like this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Likewise.

I like thee collaboration of Google Apps but there's a lot of things which you can do in Office that you can't do in Google. Often that's just small things- but a language behind is completelt missing in Google. VBA in Office is extremely powerful and useful once you get the hang of it.

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.
  7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I was trying to think about why I prefer Office, Geoff nailed it. It's the little things.

Last edited: 6th Jun, 2016
    geoffw likes this.
  8. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

O365, great product and not so expensive (not that I pay, company does).

Did i really just say "great" about a Microsoft product...help me please.

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Actually, something I really like about Google docs is the automatic saving; if you want to go back there's many versions saved in the history.

10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I also use Microsoft's Onedrive - by far inferior to googledocs.

11. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

For word processing and spreadsheets, I use Libreoffice. Haven't used the DB part yet.

12. xanh

xanh Active Member

OneDrive For Business is terrible. Even worse than OneDrive, surprisingly. There are just too many restrictions. The combination of OneDrive and Linc just slowed down my work PC dramatically. I don't know how they can go so wrong when competitors seem to do it easily.

I find Excel Online needs to be used with IE or you get weird navigation issues.

Personally, I much prefer Google Drive and other non Microsoft alternatives. Office365 is supposed to be more powerful, and in many ways it is. If only those features worked as they should...
    Having said that, I use LibreOffice at home, as I don't want to buy Office, but in some ways Excel is better.

13. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Shifting towards going to office 365 , if only because we currently used excel , work , outlook so less of a learning curve .

I used to use onenote ( and really liked it ) but shifted to evernote because it synced between devices , but now one note syncs between devices I may go back to that because it used to be a better program than evernote for what I was doing at the time.

I does mean though, that i'll have to get a new Imac ( for music ) , because the one I run can't use office 365 unless I upgrade to 10.10 and that stuffs up to many other things I'm currently running . So Sad ....;)

Cliff