Offer before auction

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Regurgitator, 2nd Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Regurgitator

Regurgitator Member

I found a house yesterday I’d like to buy which goes to auction in three weeks. I’d like to make a private treaty offer(s) tomorrow. It’s in the 800k bracket on RE.com so was thinking to make two offers, one without finance at 855k and another with 14 days finance for 925k.

Any thoughts on how a seller/agent would respond to this?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What do the comparables tell you it would go for? The range isnt always accurate.

if the seller feels confident about the auction and expects at least 855, you probably have no chance.

fact is you need to know the sellers circumstances.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't stop a planned auction for anything less than a cash unconditional contract.

What do you think it is worth?

4. Regurgitator

Regurgitator Member

Thanks for replying, I agree some more context is needed. Domain Range is 700-900. It’s an ex rental. On flood awareness map but low flood risk (FPA5) in the 5km ring. A smaller house two doors down on a smaller block sold for 600 earlier this year. First open was yesterday, well attended. There was no paperwork or brochures or CMA. Agent said seller is ‘freeing up cash’. My gut tells me they’ve bracketed low to get the people through, but maybe seller is motivated. Don’t know.

5. db9

db9 Well-Known Member

You should be able to work out how much the property is worth. If it’s tough to figure out may be worth seeking professional advice - buyers agent, independent valuer etc...

6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

The domain range is meaningless. Have you even looked at actual comparable sales? You are going into this blind.

7. wylie

Is there a reason you don't want to go to the auction, especially if you may get it cheaper than you are prepared to offer before auction? Especially if one two doors away sold for $600k - why would you go so high?

Bernie and Curious2019 like this.
  8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

We get this a lot with potential buyers

In 20 years, it usually results in just one thing a floor being set for the da

ta
    rolf

Stoffo likes this.
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

As a seller, it seems there would be very little motivation to accept the $855k offer? If it was within an acceptable range I would just take the $925k offer (as the vendor), leave the auction advertised (if there is no legal issue with doing that) and if your finance didn't come through and the contract crashed, I still have the auction planned for one week later...

If you put this same offer to the vendor ONE WEEK before the auction, then there is at least motivation for them to accept the lower offer as your finance clause would run past the planned auction date.

Last edited by a moderator: 2nd Aug, 2020
  10. wylie

I thought the same, but it seems these days the banks are taking so long to approve, that approval would be unlikely to go through before the auction.

Not a bad idea if the offer was good though. Just have to keep it very quiet so the auction programme can proceed with nobody knowing any differently.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  11. arewethereyet

arewethereyet Well-Known Member

Care to share @db9? I'm here to learn. (And aware that buyers agents and other paid services are available to those who opt not to DIY.)