Objections to Development Applications

Discussion in 'Development' started by Scott No Mates, 27th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it now a national pastime to object to every DA which is lodged regardless of whether or not it will affect you as a neighbour, resident or someone on this planet?

From SMH - Craziest Neighbour Objections

Have your DA's been similarly pinged by neighbours?

Property Guts, The Y-man and lixas4 like this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Yep...

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

When we put together our initial plans, we consulted the neighbours in an general forum before sending them to council.

The neighbour to our north said they didn't like a larger house being built because we'd be able to see across the reserve and into their bedroom window, about 30 metres away. The architect stated that their objection would be ignored because our property is more than 15 metres away from their window.

When the formal objection came through, it was objecting to a two storey house being built, because we'd be able to see over their roof, into their back yard and onto their swimming pool where their grandchildren like to play naked.

So in essence, when they realised that their basic dislike of a larger house being built nearby got ignored, they decided they'd suggest I like to spy on naked children. Thanks.

Not only am I not capable of bending light over their roof, that horse already bolted with the two town houses on the other side of their backyard. Both these properties have a direct line of sight straight down onto the pool from their living rooms at a third of the distance.

When we finally moved into the new house, I started to set up a telescope in one of the the upstairs windows. My wife talked me down arguing that the neighbours are in their 60s and I don't need any more mental scars.

The other objection we had was the neighbour to the south didn't like a bathroom window that did (legitimately) point straight at their house from a few metres. We worked with them and moved the window to everyone's benefit.

In the end, the plans were refused by council for completely different reasons and we built something completely different.

Bunbury and lixas4 like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

One of the most bizarre ones I've had was one of the neighbours to a 6 townhouse site objected the very demolition of the DA. Stated it would cause too much dust to blow on her newly painted ( few months already) home.

Total nutter she was. During the build she'd give the dirtiest looks to the tradies as they entered and exited the site.

5. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

The problem is that the scope and limits of "real" objections are never articulated by the Authorities.
    People "object" for reasons outside the scope of consideration, typical as described above by Peter, and "I don't like it"...
    Unfortunately the Authorities don't care...

Property Guts likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Their hands are tied - it's an objection so can't go through under delegated authority (though the town planner/assessor's recommendation will dismiss or give credence to the issue).

7. Property Guts

Property Guts Well-Known Member

yes, i think Tufan is onto something there - the scope of objections - is never explained to neighbours by Council, but Council still manage to send a 2 page letter of huff and fluff

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

On my last development in Melb I had 12 objections, neighbours ganged up, the bullies

This is where a gun townplanner can make a massive difference.

We won ....my townplanner worked with council to get it over the line

9. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

We just won at VCAT against Council refusal. The application was called in and refused by Councillors supporting 5 objectors. The objectors thought they had a case - totally misled by the Council process. But now the Councillors can just blame VCAT.... rather than being up front with the community

10. Scott No Mates

Very common, councillors going against advice or their own planners' recommendations as they have other interested parties not wanting the proposal approved or want to be seen not supporting the proposal knowing that it's unwinnable.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia