Education & Work Nurse who needs career advice

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Chrystee, 24th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chrystee

Chrystee Active Member

Hi everyone,

Looking for some wisdom on my career.
    I'm in my mid 30's, have been a nurse for over 8 years, and I'm so frustrated with my career as I feel like nursing is a dead end job.

They pay is OK, I work in-charge in Aged Care/Psych and make $51 and hour, and $55 when I do nursing co-codinator, plus penalties, eg time and half on weekends, afternoon allowance, double on public holidays.

While I like nursing, and I do enjoy my job, I feel like I'm getting know where career wise, as no matter what I do, my job is a trade, and I can't start my own business nursing. I'm only working by the hour, and I hate that. If I change specialties and start all over again for a sea change, my pay doesn't change! Even if I do a Masters, it's $1.5- $2 more per hour. I want to have my own business, I want to earn money while I'm at home. In another 10 years I could be in the exact same spot and it kills me!

If i take a unit manager role, I basically end up loosing money as it's Mon-Fri, no penalites etc. I just can't get over the fact that no matter how hard I work, I'm still working by the hour and don't know how to fix my situation. I've thought about starting an agency but most of the agency work has dried up now as they are hiring masses of new grads.

Sometimes I wish I was in a career that was more entrepreneurial, or should have been a Dr, but honestly I don't love clinical care and prefer the Admin work or running a ward/organisation. Sorry about the ramble.

I really wanted to save and get into investing in real estate, then the crash came and now I'm so uninspired. Please help!

2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

$55 per hour, in a job that makes a difference to humans and their wellbeing, would be well up there in "worth it" jobs for me,
    I reckon there is a chance youd feel the same as doc as well

Shazz@ likes this.
  3. Chrystee

Chrystee Active Member

Thanks for that. The thing is i really do love my job, but i feel like i'm at 1/10th of my potential.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Why can't you save? You earn good money.

5. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

perhaps skill up in IT or data management, health data is only growing and people who understand both the data and the tech are employable. the other option is you go remote and make lots in a short period of time.

6. Chrystee

Chrystee Active Member

My husband is a computer programmer and works in marketing, so I have that skill set to tap into. So that area could work out.

7. Chrystee

Chrystee Active Member

I can, I currently work part time as have a 4 year old and one on the way.

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

May I ask what "crash"? I'm probably ignorant but:

1. I haven't noticed one occur in my neck of the woods (unless we a re talking the "mining towns")
    2. If there's been a crash, it may be a great time to buy (unless we are talking the "mining towns")

The Y-man

9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

If you got a deposit and can get a loan then you're there.

I wouldn't worry about not being happy with your job. Not many people are. I've got a crap job that pays half your money. I'm just happy somebody out there is silly enough to employ me lol.

10. Chrystee

Chrystee Active Member

Just meant prices were going up (18 months) then stopped going up, then went down (Melbourne).

Last edited by a moderator: 24th Sep, 2019
  11. Chrystee

Chrystee Active Member

Lol. I will try.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Chrystee I know a thing or two about this as in the past I've mentored a few nurses to build wealth, and we've had in depth discussions.

I'm sure you know by now you will never be wealthy from nursing. It's not an industry which is set up for that. You are just a number. That's it. You need to face that reality. What nursing can do for you however is allow you to have great earning capacity for you to invest.

9.5/10 jobs out there in any industry, won't enable you to be wealthy from the income itself.

You need to invest. First in yourself. Your mindset. Then into assets or a business. But an income from an ordinary job will never make you wealthy.

"I really wanted to save and get into investing in real estate, then the crash came and now I'm so uninspired. Please help!"

This is firstly a mindset issue. Then a lack of knowledge issue. Once you fix these two, you will be empowered to take action and move forward.

13. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I'm a qualified nurse and social worker. About eight years ago I started doing locum roles in the Kimberley and building up my property business in between. It's been incredible for me. I don't want or need a management role. I get pretty much total flexibility in working contract roles for a few months here and there. The contracts allow me to get finance for property purchases and I now have a portfolio of 19 in Australia, NZ and US including subdivision projects. I don't have the time to work all year, and my investment income more than makes up.

You have the world at your feet with your qualification. Find a way to make it work for you.

Last edited: 24th Sep, 2019
    luckyone, Brady, wylie and 3 others like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You're treating it as a business. Which is exactly the advice I gave to some nurses and they were able to rake in large incomes and invest aggressively. Both very successful with large portfolios today.

ellejay likes this.
  15. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

is it possible to start up a nurse
    employment / staffing / recruitment business ????

to provide workers in these types of care industries

16. ellejay

Yes a business, but also a lifetime of unforgettable experiences, scenery and friendships. Work doesn't even feel like work. Whoever named this place the lucky country nailed it, for those who care to look.

Sackie likes this.
  17. Chrystee

Chrystee Active Member

Thank you, that really helps me put everything in perspective. I've been focusing too much on nursing, when I should be focusing on saving and investing to grow wealth. I completely agree we are just numbers, and are easily replaced. There is no merit system, no performance bonus which makes it hard to stay motivated, but I will try.

Brady likes this.
  18. Chrystee

Chrystee Active Member

That sounds great! Good on you. I will look into that in the future, I have heard about people doing it. It's mostly people who don't have families with young kids though, so may be something for me in the furture.

ellejay likes this.
  19. ellejay

Depends on the age of your kids, plenty do it pre and early primary.

20. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Mine site medic and some study in OHS ?

ellejay likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia