Closed Number of posts per page?

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Beyond Wealth, 22nd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beyond Wealth

Beyond Wealth Well-Known Member

Hi Sim,

Not sure if there's an option and I just can't seem to find it, but is there any way to increase the number of posts per page? My personal preference is to view 100 posts before having to click 'next'

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Will look into it

3. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

Thanks Sim.

Would love a print view as well, if it is possible, please.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've researched the reasoning behind not providing a user-selectable number of posts per page and in short, I'm unlikely to implement something which allows this.

Basically, the problem (and I've experienced this on Somersoft numerous times) is that when people share links, they typically just copy and paste the URL from the address bar - and that information, including the page number of the post in the thread - is not going to be the same for all users if they have different numbers of posts per page.

For usability, performance and search-engine optimisation, it is far better to have a consistent definition of exactly what the URL is to any specific piece of content on the site (called the "canonical URL"). Allowing users to arbitrarily change the number of posts per page breaks canonicality.

On SS we just tended to put up with the occasional broken link (although given how often it happened to me when dealing with support issues - it is actually a major pain!).

Although I understand the argument for user-configurability of this - I'm unlikely to implement which allows this to be set on a per-user basis.

However, we can globally change the value for the number of posts per page site-wide, so if the majority of people think that 20 posts per page is too few, I would consider increasing it. Now is the time to make this change - while the site is still quite young and there aren't yet many inbound links that might break by changing this setting.

I'll start a poll.

This being said - I think there is the possibility of implementing a "print view" (aka all posts in the thread on one page) ... although there is the potential for that to cause problems with very very long threads. I might look into this, but it might have an upper limit to the number of posts it will display on a single page.

5. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

Thanks Sim. Appreciate it.

6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Also with consideration to noobs;
    With current options this is the simplest/quickest (perhaps laziest) way to share a link.
    Some may not understand/be aware what the "link" button does, however that still displays the full link, just makes it live.

I have no knowledge how all the back-end coding etc of a forum is done however when pasting a link in Whirlpool somehow when the post is submitted it automatically only shows part of it.

Many wouldn't be aware there is a page on this site displaying BB Codes (or know what that means) I only discovered it when clicking on "Help" at the bottom of the page. = [*URL=https://propertychat.com.au/community/help/bb-codes]BB Codes[/URL]

However perhaps "if tech possible" when a user clicks on "Reply to Thread" (submitting the post) if the system picked up that there's a weblink in the post a pop-up could be displayed saying;
    "Hi, noticed you have a weblink in your post, to make your post look tidier/shorter for all members please type a short description of what the link is referenced to in the text box below then click on submit"
    The text box automatically using the "Go to example.com" of the [*URL=link]
    = [*URL=http://www.example.com]Go to example.com[/URL]