[NSW] 'Unconditional' offer with cooling off

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Norms, 15th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Norms

Norms Member

Hi all,

I'm planning to place an offer for a property without any 'subject to' clauses but still want to maintain my cooling off period so I can get a strata report and building inspection done during that time.

In NSW, does an 'unconditional' offer assume the cooling off period is waived or are they separate like some other states where a 66W certificate has to be signed. How should I best word my offer to the agent that my offer isn't subject to any conditions e.g. finance, B&P, while still maintaining the cooling off period (unconditional sounds better)?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

2. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Unconditional would mean 66w is signed. Normal contract in NSW has a cooling off period but you're liable for 0.25% if you need to exercise the cooling off.

Your conveyencer should be able to do this for you. Keep in mind nothing is at all binding until you've exchanged contracts so "wording" an offer won't tie you any commitment.

Contracts and deposits

Norms, Propertunity and Archaon like this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

There usually are no "subject to" clauses used in NSW because there is a statutory 5 business day cooling off period (COP). You just make your offer $xx and strike out the occasional clause you don't like (eg a release of deposit clause). It would be normal practice to get a contract review done by a solicitor or conveyancer prior to signing the contract.

The COP you can use to get strata report, P&B report, formal finance approval, etc whatever you like. Your 0.25% deposit is at risk and will go to the vendor if you do not proceed. But it does give you total control over the property for 5 business days or 10 days if you negotiate more COP as part of your offer.

awilliams and Norms like this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Depends on your definition of unconditional.

A contract can be entered into without any conditions yet the cooling off period still apply

Norms likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is a contract a contract if there are no conditions?

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There would be terms but not 'subject to...' type terms.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia