NSW: Tree removal requested by tenant, land lord to pay the bills?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by [d4rk-fr3d], 27th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. [d4rk-fr3d]

[d4rk-fr3d] Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,

In my property (Bayside NSW LGA), I've got a large backyard with approximately 4 trees that are taller than 5 meters. It is not native tree, but the tenant asking for it to be removed since it is aesthetically bad and has caused them to do gardening more often.

They are lodging the complaints and wants me to remove the trees completely. Or else, they will send in the bills after they cut the tree themselves.

AFAIK, removing the tree will requires council approval and the arborist to check and report back to the council.

What's the best solution with this situation, and I know that there are lots of vacancies and the tenant is already asking for 30% rental reduction.

2. 14022

14022 Member

Council does ask for approval over a certain size.
    You can't just remove them if they look unsightly. However, you can get an arborist to do a 10% tree trim up without Council approval.
    Call a good arborist!

3. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

The trees were there long before the tenant and they knew about them when they chose to rent the property.

As for sending you the bill when they unilaterally destroy your property, I would be suggesting to them that the bill would be paid for out of their bond as would the cost of re-landscaping the damaged area.

Archaon and wylie like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Pfft. Tell them computer says "No!".

Trees are an asset, big trees are big assets. Unless it's affecting your plumbing or other services, they can find another use for it, like a swing.

(Of course, if it's a camphor laurel, it can go :rolleyes:).

wylie likes this.
  5. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Council will have a page that explains which trees need approval sizes etc. Unless there's a safety reason or the trees are in poor health then there should be no need to cut them down and the tenant cannot make these demands.

If you are self managing, I would explain to the tenants in writing that you do not approve and there are large fines imposed by the council for cutting down trees without their approval.

Archaon and wylie like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

And you dont have to cut them down to have a problem. Pruning is considered to be limited to 10% of the tree without approval. And not the bottom 10% !!

NSW legislation