NSW NSW - The Ponds

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by mukul m, 14th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mukul m

mukul m Active Member

Not in 650 for sure. 750$ yes lots of options in market. May be buy a old unit for less than 650 and save 23k (stamp duty) and use that money for the 2nd property. Thats what I am not able to decide yet

2. mukul m

mukul m Active Member

3. Jester

Jester Active Member

I reckon we're in a similar boat to you. We did consider a 2 bedroom place but from advice we got, I've heard the need for a 3 bed from a 2 bed happens pretty quickly if you're planning on starting a family.
    What about Rydalmere? Seems like its a short bus ride to Parramatta or direct buses to the city...Few Townhouses in the 750K mark... I haven't lived there though so don't know a lot about it..

mukul m likes this.
  4. mukul m

mukul m Active Member

Thanks. Quite honestly, I havent looked at this suburb at all.

5. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Hi @wombat777 , Is there any software do you use to find these locations and pin them or just google maps?

I want to do the same for my shortlisted suburbs.

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

No special software.

Just a screenshot and then I pasted transparent circles in PowerPoint ( or Mac equivalent ).

Never giveup likes this.
  7. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

Myabe look into Google MyMaps/combining it with Google Earth.

Never giveup likes this.
  8. NewGuy88

NewGuy88 Well-Known Member

9. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

10. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

These maps are great but they are only optimised for a person looking to walk to station and then commute to Macquarie or city but for most people commute is just one of many factors.

Tallawong and Kellyville are designed for people driving to station (over 2500 spots) and they are quite hard to access via foot so walking distance to these two stations is not as important as walking distance to Castle Hills or Showground stations.

Now for someone with kids or planning to have kids, proximity to the schools or playgrounds also becomes another factor and families will be better off living close to suburb center where amenities clustered.

Living within walking distance to stations also means you will have to be within close proximity of major roads (Windsor Road and Schofields Road) and when they get busier, road noise will have an affect on properties values if within 200 meters from the road.

11. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

That's not so true. You can optimise the choice of a location to minimise the inconveniece of noise from busy roads. The circles are intended as a generalisation and walking-distance proximity to the stations remains my pick for capital growth. There are a number of parks/playgrounds in my immediate area (2 to 3 minute walk) and full playing fields about 5-6 minutes.

I'm about 500 to 600m from both Windsor Road and also the Skytrain. I occasionally hear emergency vehicles on Windsor Road. The Skytrain is a wosh in the night and is not loud enough to keep me awake.

12. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Sure but there are trade offs. I haven't looked at The Ponds recently but own an IP there so have some knowledge of the area.

One trade off is school - living closer to station means living outside the catchment of John Palmer which is more sought after as two other new schools are massively overcrowded.

On living closer to the station, you are quite close to the cemetery which I would personally avoid. I would also completely avoid newer parts of The Ponds (Schofields side of the creek) due to smaller blocks and narrow streets. It's amazing how some of the narrow streets got approved by council at all.

Below is the area I would recommend (but it's generally more expensive).

Depending upon your priorities, you can't go wrong with anywhere in this circle.

Snip20190523_1.png

13. joto

joto New Member

From a parent's point of view, most parents prefer Riverbank Public School over John Palmer, especially Chinese and Indian parents. That's why Riverbank's catchment is getting smaller and smaller because the demand is higher than John Palmer