Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

NSW Tenant or landlord responsibility

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Chilliblue, 4th Feb, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

The tenant has been complaining about the electrical circuits shorting.

Turns out every powerpoint in the property has a powerboard connected to it with a minimum 3 to 4 items connected to that with most items switched on.

In this instance who is responsible? As a landlord the supply is in order for normal consumption but obviously not for this tenants requirements.

2. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

It's outside the ordinary use of the power supply, different story if it was commercial with 3 phase power, but it's not.

My main concern would be the fire risk they are creating by overloading the power supply, the electrical wires would be red hot up in the roof.

kierank and wylie like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

How many power points? Any previous issue? If there are enough points (not like our old places where there was one per room) and this seems to be a problem just with these tenants I'd tell them to unplug things when not being used.

If it is a old house and this needs to be addressed, I'd do that.

4. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Do you have a RDC (I think that's what its called) fuse box?
    I hope this helps.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Chilliblue

Are there sufficient power outlets? It may be a case of too much electrical equipment but if the property is.older there may not be enough outlets or circuits which will always be a problem.

Our ppor had 1 light circuit and one power circuit, gas stove/hws.

Forget about turning on the heater, microwave oven, kettle and toaster simultaneously. Needed a dash outside into the cold to rewire the fuse.

It is the tenant's problem to use the electric supply safely.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Do you have an adequate number of power points?

Older properties often have one outlet per room, ok for the 1960s or so, but today a bedroom usually has at least a bedside light, clock radio, possibly a portable fan, and chargers for iPads and/or phoned.

And we have 6 outlets in the family room and 6 in the kitchen, but could do with more.

Every time we need an electrician we seem to be adding more power outlets!
    Marg

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

The property has sufficient power points its just that this tenant has every conceivable electrical device and seems to want them on and available at all times.

This is a new purchase and the tenant has been already been given 90 days to vacate and has decided to stop paying rent.

I had factored in the tenant not paying the rent but I do not want to be in the position of facing a tribunal.

Note: Normally I would have waited until the property was under vacant possession but the tenant is a relative of the vendor and the property was sold so that they could break the association.

Last edited: 5th Feb, 2017
    Perthguy likes this.
  8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Sounds like the power thing was just a lame excuse to try and get out of paying rent then?

EN710 and Perthguy like this.
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well, it wont matter how many power boards or devices, what matters is the current draw, I have walked into student accommodation where they have multiple power boards with multiple rice cookers, this will cause problems and trip the breaker.

So need to work out what they are using exactly, if they are going, I would not worry too much, as long as they have power.....