[NSW] Survey cost

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by htopg, 27th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. htopg

htopg Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am purchasing a property in Sydney and my lender requested for a survey report.
    I found that property has done a survey report with Hill & Blume in 2009.
    The only difference between now and then is that the above ground pool has been removed.
    I rang Hill & Blume today and got told that a survey report will cost $990.
    Since they have done it in the past, they can do it for $770.

Questions:
    1. Which survey company do you recommend?
    2. Is $990 a good price for survey?
    3. Is $770 offered a good price for a property that has survey done 5 years ago?

I think the survey is worthwhile as I need it to satisfy lender and also need it for the subdivision process.

Thanks in advance.

2. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

1. I've worked a lot with Urban Surveys in The Ponds but for a straight survey then most are perfectly fine.
    2. Yes.
    3. Even better. Council will require a new survey if there have been changes by and large.

3. Rusty12

Rusty12 Member

1. Most survey companies are fine to use as its a pretty generic survey request, probably would be cheaper just to get one close by.
    2. Pretty ok price for a survey but depending on what type, is it just to identify structures in relation to the boundary which I am assuming it is as these are generally conducted around sale time
    3. On the 2009 survey there should be descriptions of the fence type/retaining walls and structures. If these are all exactly the same it will basically be a walk around visual and take a few photos, no equipment will be needed and the plan amended without the pool. Not really a great price but, as there is always a level of risk to the surveyor signing off on distances to the boundaries it is what it is. Also it will be much cheaper than getting a new company to complete the same task.

Make sure that the survey will meet council requirements as some will want topography over layed with the structures as well as distances to boundaries for a subdivision or plans for the DA. Confirm this will be sufficient otherwise they will charge again to do the same but different survey.

4. MikePan

MikePan New Member

That sounds liks a pretty good price. The price will depend on which State you are in. What city are you in?