NSW Strata - strata subdivision or a new by-law?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by VB King, 11th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

Situation: I own a ground floor unit to the rear of the block. Common area can be accessed from the ground level balcony. This outdoor area is unaccessible to other units in the block. It's currently neglected but would make a great private courtyard - I'm approaching this on the basis of creating equity in a strata situation.

I have done some research on how the common area could be included to add value;
    1. Through a by-law which gives my unit exclusive use of the area.
    2. The common area is added to my lot via strata subdivision.

There doesn't seem to much available on the topic - but I believe that while the by-law is quicker & cheaper, the by-law is at risk of being changed in the future. The subdivision route is more permanent & would add more value.

I would be interested to hear the thoughts & experiences of other members, and particularly if anybody has experience - how they went about it and why.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

An exclusive use by-law is the most common solution. Needs another one to overturn it - alot of effort and rarely done.

Having it on title would require the SP to be relodged with the approval of all owner's and modtgagees. Much harder to achieve .

VB King likes this.
  3. VB King

Appreciate the response!

4. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

5. VB King

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia