NSW Strata Scheme Management Act Renovation Without Bylaw

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by meffn, 21st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. meffn

meffn Well-Known Member

Does anyone know whether it is possible to put a motion under s108 Strata Scheme Management Act without creating a by-law, i.e. the OC continues to maintain the affected property. I am thinking of doing a renovation that's just outside the scope a minor renovation, however the actual impact to the common property is very minor. If the permission can be gained under s108 without a by law it will save on legals and not create an ongoing obligation. Time is not a concern.

2. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Sounds great. What does your Committee and Strata Manager have to say about it? If it's just outside a minor reno then it's probably a major reno, so you'll need a by-law, given the info you have offered.
    A little more detail might help.

3. meffn

meffn Well-Known Member

I'm creating a sliding door + partition to carve out a part of the living room to form its own space. I'll probably need a CDC for it, so it falls outside minor reno, in which case it'll need approval under s108 with a special resolution. I've going through the section a few times, it seems to me that its only an *option* that a by-law needs to be made where the owner takes responsibility over common property. It's *technically* possible for approval to be made under s108(1), but have no corresponding bylaw made under s108(6). Whether or not that passes through the OC is a different issue, but as time is not an issue it could be advantageous to attempt to pass it without a by-law, as it would mean the OC continuing the maintain common property related to the reno and it'll save on some legal fees. In this case all I'm doing is putting a few screws in the boundary wall, the bylaw would suddenly make me or any future lot owner responsible for the wall in eternity. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this?