NSW State Government Proposed Changes to Strata Laws

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Chilliblue, 15th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chilliblue

    Chilliblue Well-Known Member

    18th Jun, 2015
    A reminder to anyone who is interested that after two long years, the NSW Government appear to be going ahead with their draft bill.

    The proposed reforms include:
    • Allowing 75 per cent of apartment owners to sell their unit blocks for redevelopment, regardless of the wishes of the other 25 per cent.
    • Tackling overcrowding by allowing strata schemes to pass by-laws limiting the number of occupants based on the number of bedrooms (but no less than two adults per bedroom).
    • Owners corporations being able to invite council parking inspectors in to "ticket" rogue parkers in their blocks.
    • Specifying passive smoking as a potential "nuisance" as defined and forbidden by strata law.
    • Curbs on "proxy harvesting" by limiting proxy votes held by one person to 5 per cent of the total number of units.
    • A defects bond of 2 per cent on the value of new apartment blocks not covered by the home building compensation fund.
    • A three-tier approvals plan for renovations so that minor cosmetic changes don't require permission but major alterations need "special resolution" approvals.
    • Limits on strata management contracts, including a legal compulsion for strata managers to declare any commissions they may receive from insurers.
    The draft Strata Schemes Management and Strata Schemes Development Bills, available on fairtrading.nsw.gov.au, will be open for feedback until 12 August.

    Any thoughts?
  2. Propertunity

    Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

    19th Jun, 2015
    For investors with units or apartments, have your say (clicky link below):

    The draft Strata Schemes Development Bill 2015 and Strata Scheme Management Bill 2015 have been released for public consultation outlining the Government’s proposed strata law reforms.
    While there have been several amendments to the legislation over the years, this is the first major reform of strata laws since the Strata Titles Act was made in 1973. Reforms will bring strata laws into the 21st century and will create a modern framework for residents living in strata schemes now and in the future.
    The proposed changes aim to:
    • make it easier for owners corporations to manage issues like pets, parking and by-laws
    • create a new democratic process for collective sale and renewal of strata schemes
    • support the responsible management of schemes with new accountabilities for strata managing agents
    • establish a new process to help ensure building defects are addressed early in the life of the building
    • enable modern forms of communication (including new options for your strata scheme to keep and issue electronic records, issue email updates and attend meetings ‘virtually’) to allow greater participation in schemes.
    Gingin and Jacque like this.