NSW Nsw-Quakers Hill-jasmine Avenue-first home buyer-need your inputs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Swathi, 25th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Swathi

Swathi Member

Couple working in cbd, planning to buy our first home in quakers Hill Jasmine Avenue. We are new to the market as well as to Sydney. I really need your inputs here for below questions.

1. The house I saw has breakfast Creek right behind the property. Is it a good buy? What all possible problems can we come across for a property with a creek behind it?

2. This property is not a road side facing one but behind a property with a drive way access. Does this affect the resale value?

3. I just read online that if your house is near a creek then you have to pay higher house insurance. Is that true?

4. What all documents we have to ask the agent about the property before paying 0.25%?

5. There is water sewage treatment plant nearby, will this have a effect on the property growth?

6. Please pour in ur inputs abt old Quakers Hill area.we are expecting our baby soon, want to feel safe in the area. And also please any tips for a first home buyer

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Quakers is a long commute to the city, especially during peak hours!

The treatment plant should be factored into the prices already, so as a percentage the property should do the same as others in the market.
    That one doesn't smell too much either.

Swathi likes this.
  3. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi @Swathi

Welcome to PC.

Found this on google search. There are a few threads on Somersoft too.

I personally wouldn't purchase behind a creek or near a treatment plant. As spludgey said - it would be factored into the price.

As you will be travelling to the city, its worthwhile considering a place closer to the train station - otherwise time spent driving to and from the station will really add up

I understand @Jacque buys for her clients in the area, and may have feedback on this.

As for tips for first home buyer - make a list of what you really want the property to have, and what you can do without. Go to opens with a clear understanding of what will make the right home for you. You will be able make a quicker decision this way than you would otherwise if you are confused. Agents also like clarity, and are more likely to make a deal with you as they will see you as a serious buyer and not someone who will waste their time.

Katemonty, Swathi and Jacque like this.
  4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Good tips by Sana and Mona @Swathi and it can be daunting buying your first place so we know how you feel :) At least these agents are nice ones to deal with (we know them very well)

Basically, however it comes down to your budget and personal choice. As Sana has said, make sure you do your research and are comfortable based on other properties you've seen/offered on in QH before going further here. For what it's worth (and our 12 years of buying in this area for clients):

If walking to the station is a priority forget this location- if you can only afford homes on the older side of QH then I'd be looking closer eg: Lovegrove/Eastern Rd side. Though demographics are similar you'll be a lot nearer for commuting purposes.

You'll be looking at something in the $700K's+ for a property here- prices have gone up but still affordable in most cases for FHBs.

Preferable side of QH is the Farnham Rd side (referred to as the "new" side however this is probably a little dated now :D) but if constrained by budget you'll get far less for your $$$ on this side

Backing onto a watercourse/creek/sewage plant can and will ultimately affect value. Do some more reading in this area and also consider flood precincts (look up council website for maps) for possible increased insurance costs. This can impact.

Battleaxe properties, as a very general rule, aren't considered as desirable as street frontage, but again this is a personal choice.

Be aware that there is Housing Dept stock on this side of QH- similar to Marayong and Blacktown there are specific pockets and streets however Jasmine Ave itself has only limited supply. As always check out the neighbours and ask around - you might pick up some useful information here that may assist.

Good luck with your impending purchases and keep us posted :)

Swathi and Sackie like this.
  5. AAA2214

AAA2214 Well-Known Member

I bought in Quakers Hill recently so I can suggest from my end with the research I had done

As you are both planning to work in the city. I would suggest of the below 2 locations

Old side - about 800m to 1Km circle from the train station. No transport but still manageable to walk. You would be looking at min of 750 to 850 for a 3/4 bedder depending on how close to the train station. There is also an uplift happening with units and more shops being added on the ground floor of the Apartment complex being built. I feel more chances of rezoning happening in this circle of 1 km which will help increase land value

New side -

1. As suggested by others, near the Farnham road shops. This side has bus connectivity to the station(752) and is near to schools. This side you would be looking for 800 to 950K for a 3/4 bedder and the area is very good
    2. Townhouses near station about 300m but they are about 750k+

The commute from Quakers hill to the city is not bad. 45 mins in the city and they are trains every 10 - 12 mins frequency in peak hour and they are express to the city

Danny370z and Swathi like this.
  6. Swathi

Swathi Member

Thank you all for your wonderful inputs. Any inputs for a property on seven hills road is much appreciated. Thanks

7. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

How busy is it ? I recall a few years ago there was road widening that happened that took a chunk of the block if I'm not mistaken about the location itself

8. Swathi

Swathi Member

The house is a behind a road facing property. I mean its a battle-axe property. Good part is the seven hills road noise will not creep in. The land is uneven though. Whats the future potential growth on seven hills road and how good is seven hill north public school.

9. AAA2214

Any specific reason for choosing Seven hills and what kind of budget you are looking at?

10. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

I'll let OP answer this but I like the South seven hills area which is better part of Seven Hills.Also, it has better train connectivity as compared to Quakers Hill.Quakers has only 3-4 trains between 8-9:00 AM whereas Seven H has every 10 mins or so.This becomes important if you work and have kids going to school, you can only catch the trains after 8:30.

11. AAA2214

Agree, Seven hills has better frequency of trains to the city but most of the people who take train from Seven hills live i
    The most important thing is to make a list of criteria that needs to be ticked for you to buy a house example budget, location, future growth, transport to CBD, schools(if you have kids), family oriented suburb etc.

Then you would priotize which things are important to you and pick a suburb which ticks your boxes. Some suburbs have few things missing and others fulfill all of your criteria.

I picked Quakers Hill as it fullfilled all my criteria and ticked most of my boxes so I'm happy

12. AAA2214

My previous update got cut off..

Agree, Seven hills has better frequency of trains to the city but most of the people who take train from Seven hills to the city live in Kings Langley, Balkuam hills etc

13. hpcproperty

hpcproperty Member

Hi Swathi,

Welcome to Sydney!

We are the local resident in Quakers Hill for last 7 years. just try to share some of our view of this home suburb.

Quakers Hill has 2 side, use the train line to devide north parts and south part.
    If you drive around you will find north part are little better, much clean, more schools and shops.

I would suggest you try to stay on the north part. there are couple reasons.

1. North part is linked to schofields, the pond, and east to acacia garden and parklea. Those are much higher price suburb.

2. North Part, has 2 public schools, are both good one, and if you lucky, you could enrol to newer school which is The pond public school depand where you buy. (consider for your kid to go to school)

3. North part has better, newer life style drivers, for example, Stanhope Garden Shopping center 3 min drive. New Woolworth and Cole (not build yet) right beside Schofield train station, ALDI in the middle. Farnham Road shop, 10 mins to Rouse Hill shopping Centre and Parklea Market also New Marsden Park Ikea, Bunnings...ets . Easy Access to Old Windsor Road, M2, M7

I think Quakers Hill is well located with budget around $800K

I have attached a map which personal think the better part for your reference.

Hope this help!

Attached Files:

Katemonty and Danny370z like this.
  14. AAA2214

Ya the north side is good with all the stuff you mentioned and the prices would soon match the other new or growing suburbs nearby. Thats where I bought my property recently as my sister has been living here for 15 years here and like the streets here.

But to be honest the old side has also picked up. Old couples are moving out, more working class people buying in, more units being built, more commercial shopping etc

In the next 2-3 years, the 500-1km area radius around the station on the old side has lot of potential IMHO. Look what happened to the same radius on the other side of the station. I feel houses in the streets on the old side like Tichborne drive, Lovegrove drive and some extent Eastern road will grow up in value in the next 2 years. They will become streets similar to Ramona street , Lalor road where due to the demand of the townhouses the home onwers made huge profits by selling to builders.

Kokee likes this.
  15. raja

raja Member

In my opinion I think the older side of Quakers Hill around Cowper Cr, Penn Cr etc are better value then on the North part due to:

- These streets are walking distance to the trains, shops and restaurants

- In the catchment area for Quakers Hill Public School (QHPS). QHPS scored higher then all other public schools in Quakers Hills/ The Ponds. Top Primary Schools in NSW - 2016

- Usually you will end up with a bigger block with the potential to add in a granny flat in the future.

Kokee likes this.
  16. AAA2214

Yes, any side doesn't matter since the last 1 year. Things have changed. The old side asking price have been the same as the new side. On the old side you get some scope for negotiation but anything around 500m to the station/shops/schools on both the sides are selling within first few days upon listing.