NSW PM's - Covid

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by alwayslearning2, 4th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alwayslearning2

alwayslearning2 Active Member

Hi Everyone,

I've been going thru a scenario with my tenant and wondered if members might offer their thoughts. I do have a level of confidence in my PM but other inputs are always welcome.

Quick Summary for brevity
    • Long Term single Female tenant - lease on month 2 month for a while now.
    • Rent is $360 p week so not a expensive place in the scheme of things.
    • Early March she calls the PM and says she's out of work & wont be paying rent.
    • I haven't seen rent since mid March.
    • Doesn't return PM's calls about evidence, slightly abusive when she does answer.
    • Going off picture I saw in recent inspection report she has is now married and Husband lives in apartment, I'm not concerned but he is not on lease.
    • PM asks about Husband & story changes - she hasn't worked in about 9 months for whatever reason, but her husband has lost his job due to COVID.
    • After a few follow ups a dodgy word created document is provided as evidence of his job loss. I'm skeptical as his employer is a public listed multi national.
    • Eventually the husbands bank statement is provided showing he has not received salary into his account in the previous sequence. Apparently this is now sufficient evidence of COVID Impact and eviction protection.
    • An application was submitted for mediation weeks ago and latest feedback is that its still 2 weeks away from the application being reviewed.
    Have any NSW PM's found this wait time is common?

I'm also surprised a bank statement which can be manipulated so simply can be used as evidence - easy task to redirect salary payments elsewhere.

Will the tribunal look deeper than this ie if they have applied for Job Keeper etc?

Will I be able to listen in to mediation hearing?

Cheers Tom.

Last edited: 4th Jun, 2020
  2. Hayley Cannon

Hayley Cannon Well-Known Member

That wait time seems common at the moment.

If they have both lost their jobs, are they both entitled to job keeper/seeker? $360 per week is affordable if they are both recieving centrelink payments - I would not negotiate on that.

Unsure if you can dial in also, if you are near the agency that looks after your property perhaps ask to attend their office while the call is on speaker?

alwayslearning2 likes this.
  3. alwayslearning2

Thanks Hayley

Hayley Cannon likes this.
  4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I would argue strongly that the evidence is not satisfactory. They should be receiving a total household income of about $1,060wk right now which means at the most you'd be obliged to offer them a reduction to $320wk (30% of income), though I personally think any sort of reduction is ridiculous.

Hayley Cannon likes this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

If employer is a multinational, give the person who wrote the letter a quick call and confirm employment status, or a quick "does XXX still work there?"

CK_Invest likes this.
  6. alwayslearning2

A bit of an update - It went to mediation who said the bank statements were sufficient to provide protection which I'm disappointed with.

The mediators suggestion to the PM was drop rent to $200 p week and waive unpaid rent. o_O

sam999 and TMNT like this.
  7. FatElephant

FatElephant Well-Known Member

What???? I'm so sorry that is very disappointing! Did you raise your point about the fact that if just a bank statement alone then a tenant could easily redirect their income? And down to $200? That's almost a 50% reduction on top of having to 'waiver' the unpaid rent?

Can you appeal? And did you ever try to suss out their employer like TMNT suggested?

8. sam999

sam999 Active Member

thats a one way street, not a balanced negotiation

Lil Skater likes this.
  9. alwayslearning2

Well its gone past the 60 day moratorium now so it looks like a tribunal hearing will be requested for vacant possession.

I did call his employer - and was instantly stopped in my tracks and the PM declined to assist due to 'Privacy'

I'm a bit tired right now but I have a nagging feeling the PM may be a bit meek in their approach.

10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Like always, you find out the quality of the PM when issues arrive. They should have been issued breaches right at the start & fought a lot harder for you on this issue.

AxeLy and Archaon like this.
  11. alwayslearning2

100% I think I'll have a chat to the director who I've dealt with in the past to see if I can obtain some peace of mind.

12. Hayley Cannon

Hayley Cannon Well-Known Member

Wow! I am sorry to hear this! I would try to lodge an appeal if I were you!