NSW - New Medium Density Housing codes

Discussion in 'Development' started by DomW, 15th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DomW

DomW Member

Hi guys,
    I'm referring to the new density laws introduced in July. Im looking at doing 3-4 terraces or a manor house. Does anyone know with the new SEPP if they need to be strata or can they be torrens title?
    I'd like to sell one and rent the others so any insight would be great.
    Cheers
    Dom

2. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi Dom, which council? Many of these were delayed for 12 months.

3. DomW

DomW Member

Northern Beaches, this one was okay I think

4. JQ88

JQ88 Well-Known Member

I believe you can separate title, however the existing property needs to zoned for multi-dwelling under council first, for the manor house development to be supported under SEPP. This generally means R3...

5. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

If one can find a council where multi dwelling housing is permitted in R2 zone this still looks achievable but I am working out what other hoops there are to jump through first.

6. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

The deadline for the extension for most councils (Ryde being the exception but only for +1 year) is July 2019. But it seems almost too good to be true - suddenly we'll see heaps new duplex sites. I'm pretty sure the councils will find a way to defer it, or get scrapped by the new Labor NSW govt, or something else.

7. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Won't get scrapped by labor... they're not going anywhere in NSW!

8. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

haha better get your CDCs in these next 4 years...

9. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

12 months ago there were lots of sites that were looking appealing once this came through...now, not so much :confused:

Rowan likes this.
  10. Rowan

Rowan Well-Known Member

Also I haven't found a certifier who has done a project through the Low Rise Medium Density Housing Code so far. From speaking to some Council Planners, there almost pretending the Code doesn't exist.

What I am hearing is that all Councils are mandated to deliver a new Local Strategic Planning Statement and Housing Strategy by September 2019, and that they will be much clearer how the Code will work with their LEPs.
    Part 3 – Strategic planning

Keen to hear any other experiences from people who has looked into this

Last edited: 24th Mar, 2019
  11. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

When I did our CDC duplex (2 lots) we had a decent certifier, who would probably be comfortable with this new code. PM me if you need his details :)

Rowan likes this.
  12. Rowan

Rowan Well-Known Member

you're awesome as always!

13. shreko

shreko Well-Known Member

Can anyone give an insight into why the new CDC is being deferred and why certifiers don't want to go near it?
    Funny how that works isn't it.

14. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Its simply because councils did not have time to amend their LEPs to work with the new CDC. Eg it seemed Ryde was completely against it as they did not want to have manor houses everywhere. This is one of the few councils in Sydney where Manor houses could be placed on R2 zones. I think a lot of other councils just followed considering how easy the deferral was given to a few councils. The SEPP was introduced pretty quickly (from believe <12 months from when publically shown) while it theres a lot more red tape around introducing new LEPs

As for why certifiers dont want to go near it could be either it does not apply to your land or they are not yet competent due to the amount of eligible properties. I have spoken to a few who have no issues approving. There are even a few promoting the new CDC.

15. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

For multi dwelling properties there are actually no changes in strata subdivision from the previous SEPP. Should be able to strata subdivide as long as all conditions are made. New SEPP also allows dual occupancies to be subdivided where unable to before