NSW land tax, where to move in???

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Giancarlo, 21st Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Giancarlo

Giancarlo New Member

Hello, I am relatively new in Australia and not too familiar with land tax and hope to find helpful insights here. We own 3 properties and want to move in 1 of 2 options and would like to know which is the best option from a tax perspective. A simple construction of our situation:
    Property A, land value 280k, owned by my wife (1 of the 2 options to move in)
    Property B, land value 742K, owned by my wife and me (1 of the 2 options to move in)
    Property C, land value 770k, owned by my wife and me (for renting out only)
    I work and pay income tax, my wife doesn't have work.
    From a tax perspective which would be a better option, A or B? Thank you very much

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

At face value, you move in to the one with the higher land value ie option B...but there are a lot of considerations like rental return, plans to hold/sell the property etc etc

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There is no indication of the state these are located in or their respective land tax liabilities.

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Assuming all are in NSW
    You could move into the one witb the higher land valuation, B, but as stated by @Lacrim

The biggest tax advantage via a PPOR is not having to pay CGT, so for this reason you should move into the property that will have the most growth in the next few years :D

But you also need to consider how much is owing on each, rental return, where you are currently residing, the 6 year rule, how this will affect your serviceability, future purchases.......

Time for some proper planning :eek:

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

keep in mind the main residence for CGT doesn't have to be the PPOR for land tax. Could be 2 different properties. But to be a main residence you must move in first

craigc likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The value which matters for land tax is the land value (issued by the State Valuer's Office) not the market value of the property. If they are units, the land value may be insignificant.

Terry_w likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Land tax is one matter. Land tax surcharge could apply anyway even for a home in some states if you arent a exempt person (eg a citizen etc) !! The need to understasnd what each state threshold and tax rate is important. And the one you live in may mean you miss rent on the better property etc. You should basically consider the tax position of each property with land tax as a deduction in your estimates. Then adjust this for each one if it was a home and not rented and consider the effect of each situation on your taxable incomes and cashflows etc

A is owned by wife. If she doesnt work then a tax loss would be irrelvant and not helpful but she may have a threshold ofor land tax.

B owned by both of you and if +ve geared could be a half taxed issue for you or a 1/2 neg gearing issue for you but not wife.

I think there is option C. Leave all rented and rent the home

8. Giancarlo

Giancarlo New Member

Hi All, thanks for your advise. yes, all are in NSW. the values mentioned are land values. my question also involves the taxation and co-ownership together with my wife. how much land tax do we need to pay and how is that calculated?

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Land tax