NSW Land Tax Unit Trust

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Hedgy, 27th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

I am keen to listen more ppl experience on this topic.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

what do you want to know?

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I do know how its done and wont share my knowledge of the issue its way to much of a risk if its not done correctly. Its very technical. I have an issue in that it would constitute legal advice and I am not a lawyer. Chris Batten isnt a lawyer either.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Michael888

Michael888 Member

Hi Paul,

Can you recommend a lawyer who can assist in this?

Cheers,

Michael

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its generally not a resettlement where the beneficiaries do not change and the purpose of the change is to effect the fixed trust provisions. CGT is triggered however a CGT event occurs. Duty is not as no change in legal owner occurs. The recommended approach is to ensure the DRAFT changes are accepted by OSR prior to amending the deed.

Back in 2005 when the Discretionary v Fixed trust issue came up OSR allowed a change. This is still available. Its nothing magical and new.

The best place to start is the legal adviser who settled the trust. In many cases they have a template for various versions of deed. Just take care that the deed adviser is a law firm.

Whose deed is it ?

6. Fluid36

Fluid36 Well-Known Member

Why do you think it is so complicated? Who did you talk to? What makes it complicated and risky in your situation specifically?

Thanks

7. Terry_w

Of course is complicated! Trust law, stamp duty law, tax law all interacting.

BTW, why did you set up with a discretionary trust to begin with?

8. Fluid36

Fluid36 Well-Known Member

Are you asking me or the OP?

I don't see how that is relevant, I provided the information on my own thread.

Thanks

9. Terry_w

Sorry I was asking you. Lets continue this over on the other thread at Land Tax on Discretionary Trust

I didn't notice you listing the reasons you set up a trust. That is relevant for the discussion though.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia