NSW Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Gockie, 1st Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I was just reading, employers don't have to pay employees after the first 10 days of jury duty. What happens if jury duty goes on for a lot longer?

What employers need to know

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

From days 11 onward the daily allowance for employed people goes from $106 per day to $240 per day.

I've been called up twice. Once was when I was a student at uni. My parents forwarded the notice but the PO did not forward jury notices. The second time I was employed by police and was exempt.

I wouldn't mind doing it now. I've worked with justice systems a lot of years, and I'm doing some study involving court procedures. I only went to a sitting court for the first ever time this year.

legallyblonde likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

+1 has just been listed for a 3 month trial. Should be able to get out of it, she hopes.

4. Gockie

Now that is too long... I got listed for a 4 week one....

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Good money though.

In Qld the daily rate goes up and up the longer the trial goes on. Friend was on a jury for a long trial, around 14 weeks. She was not at work, children grown. By the end of the trial (15+ years ago) she was earning close to $600 per week.
    Marg

6. geoffw

I'd suspect that's not great money for Gockie.

They give something towards reasonable transport costs on top of the allowance.

.You may not have to go in. There's something about calling the night before to check.
    .You may not be selected. Some people get challenged, some just don't make it to a jury.
    .if the length of a trial is a problem you can ask for a shorter trial. Your employer could possibly help you out there.

7. Gockie

Yeah.... $600 per week years ago would have been great if you weren't employed otherwise though...

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

As I said, this was around 15 years ago.
    I would think rates have gone up since then!
    Marg

9. geoffw

The $240 per day after day 10 is only if you were otherwise employed.

When I was called, I was a contractor, and the rate they were paying was far less than it is now. I didn't have a company to give me jury pay, and what they paid would have covered an hour of my contracting pay. I was working for law enforcement at the time, which was a valid reason for not serving. They removed that as a reason later, when they raised the daily rates by a substantial amount.

10. Scott No Mates

Still doesn't touch the sides.

Stoffo likes this.
  11. Gockie

Sorry SNM... Please explain?

12. Scott No Mates

@Gockie - $1200/wk might impress many but it doesn't when your earning well above the median wage or contracting at over $100/hr (charge out rate is 3-4 times that per hour). @geoffw - it's a large paycut.

Sackie likes this.
  13. geoffw

Yes, I agree. But there's no room for negotiation. You are obliged to serve unless you have a way to get out of it. And it's a huge amount more than it used to be.

But it's unfair on the self employed and unemployed. A self employed person can't make up the difference in lost pay. And an unemployed person earns a lot less than an employed person after 10 days for exactly the same work.

14. Scott No Mates

Very true - sole trader can get an exemption. The unemployed will lose the dole for a period due to having been working or earning income (any excuse not to pay them or double dip).

15. geoffw

A sole trader can get an exemption- though apparently a contractor can also get an exemption if financial hardship can be proved, which I hadn't realised. I'm not sure what constitutes hardship though. It concerned me once, it's unlikely to do so again.

Not that this helps @Gockie much.

16. Sannie

Sannie Well-Known Member

Hardship was explained to me as you need that "money" to pay off any unpaid medical bills or pending basic utility bills ( gas, water, electricity, children school fees).

geoffw likes this.
  17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I got caught in a lengthy trial but was lucky it was under 10 sitting days. If it had been longer (at least) one of the jurors would have died.

There is a fatal flaw to jury service. The NSW website says
    You do not need any special skills to serve as a juror
    That is total rubbish. In my experience the following would be a good idea:
    • Can read or write english
    • Can speak english
    • Can bathe and use soap, deodorant and shampoo
    • Have at least a primary school level of education and comprehension
    • Not be racist or bigotted
    • Can remain awake for three hour

1. The Jury allowance is a pittance. Its crap. Unless you earn under $50,000 you are out of pocket.
    2. Retired people can make a mint but are the worst people sometimes in a jury. Jurors can include really really stupid people. Like dumb as wood. Some people really cant remember what they did 10 mins ago - Or thats what it seemed to me in the jury that we had. Yet they have to listen to technical stuff.
    3. After 3 days you get a "hot meal"...It was a burger etc with chips. If one wants hot all get hot.....Ordered about a hour earlier. I would rather eat my chair. Can we get pizza = No. Can we get chicken / salad = No. Can we get chinese = No. Can we get some decent coffee = No. We felt like inmates.
    4. You cant drink while on a jury. But you need to.
    5. After each meal you have to remind all the stupid ones to go to the loo or they interrupt the trial and we all have to leave then go back in.
    6. If they could get courts to do 1 full hour of work it would save so much time.

If I ever get shortlisted again I will tell the judge I have no interest as the process sucks and I will not co-operate. They are obliged to discharge you and there is no offence. I wish I knew that then.

Stoffo, Magnet, Excalibur1 and 2 others like this.
  18. Gockie

Oh crap. Thanks for the heads up.

19. Gockie

Well, at least this is positive for me (CBA policy) :) Jury Duty.JPG

20. geoffw

That is good.

At least NSW will be able to count on one intelligent juror.