NSW How many seperate tenants can I have in 1 house?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by NHG, 8th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

I have a property in St Marys I'm thinking of turning into a room by room rent.
    House and Granny Flat.

5-7 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms, 2 Kitchens, 3 Living areas. I don't want to have this classified as a boarding house.

What are the laws regarding the number of individual tenants I can rent it to. I believe there is a market for this and I have 2 properties within 600m of each other that I could do this with.

I went through somersoft and google however didn't find any definitive answers. Please help.

Regards

NHG

Last edited by a moderator: 23rd Nov, 2018
  2. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

What number of unrelated people is shown on the council control plan?

If all elae fails, call the council.

3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Check your insurer as well

4. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Well-Known Member

Taken straight from Fair Trading website.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Tenants_and_home_owners/Boarding_houses.page

Local councils have the primary role in approving new boarding houses and inspecting and enforcing safety and accommodation standards in existing boarding houses. They also have the power to fine operators of unregistered boarding houses or to issue orders for boarding houses to meet certain building, safety and accommodation standards.

If you have a concern about a boarding house in your local area, you can contact your local council. The Local Government Directory provides contact details for all councils in NSW. It is available from the Division of Local Government website.

Fair Trading and ADHC have developed a Guide for Councils (PDF size: 500kb) for local council inspectors which contains relevant contact and background information on the Act and the Regulation. The Boarding house inspections factsheet (PDF size: 170kb) provides information for councils on developing a boarding house inspection program. An Inspection report template (RTF size: 160kb) is also available.

Regards

Andrew

NHG likes this.