NSW fires

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Kangabanga, 11th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

And time and time again, fuel reduction burning is ignored. Reduce the fuel, reduce the severity of fires. Fires will always happen, its about managing them.
    Its easy to jump on the CC bandwagon. Right now thats a very inappropriate thing to do IMO.

Toon, Serveman and TAJ like this.
  2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I will go further and say Mr Morrison's position is now nigh on untenable.

Regardless on your views on climate change, the lack of empathy has been mind blowing and the arrogance in not listening to all of the old emergency heads deplorable. Taking a holiday as your country burns wasn't a great PR move either.

The states do handle most of the emergency work in Aus and do it well. But if there was ever a time for Sco-mo to step up....and you know, lead....this was it.

The media has certainly been giving him a hard time...but rightfully so. I am sure the liberals are already looking for a new Leader...

Lauren350 and gman65 like this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

The issue of fuel reduction and methods would more than likely included. I don't think those who are involved in undertaking any such research are dumb enough to exclude these matters. There would be a number of disciplines involved from forestry, geology, biology to ecology.

4. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

In the late 90's the Labor government under Bob Carr in NSW restricted access to National parks, hence fire trails have not been cleared for 20 years in some areas. Whereas before these trails were regularly used by 4WD clubs and the RFS. Both groups helped maintain these trails. Not so today.

Toon, Serveman and Marg4000 like this.
  5. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Can't say I blame him. My fuse is become pretty short as of late as well, so much so that I've had a few nasty verbal fights with a close member of my family who I expected better from.

I remember lining up outside the WTC memorial in New York and there was a truther their with a placard, spouting nonsense that the US government brought down the twin towers. He was rightly shouted down and confronted. His stupidity was no excuse for the insensitivity. This isn't much different from the deniers imo, the scale of suffering CC is bringing and will continue to do so is grotesque, so stupid denial of reality is looking increasingly insensitive and obnoxious.

Chabs and Bunbury like this.
  6. SatayKing

Most unfortunate @George Smiley but it can happen. Had words with a neighbour when they made the claim CC has always happened and man made effect is BS.

Couldn't help myself and told them it was a stupid statement to think those involved are not aware of natural changes and don't take that into account.

Haven't spoken to them since and it probably ain't a loss to either of us.

7. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

This

8. SatayKing

Love it! Style in spades.

"As the prime minister promoted cricket during the bushfire emergency, a group of Bega Valley residents displaced from the region due to the current fire threat have held a cricket match on the lawns of Parliament House.

Over 20 locals who evacuated to Canberra while several bushfires devastate the Far South Coast came together on Sunday for the cricket match - kept short due to the hazardous smoke in the nation's capital.

Organiser Vivian Harris said those at the match were calling for a greater commitment from the federal government to preventing and combatting bushfires.

The PM [Scott Morrison] needs to A) do something about the cause of fires which is climate change, and B) give more resources to the South Coast," she said.

She said Mr Morrison's response to residents of Cobargo during his recent visit to the town, widely covered by different media organisations, was "appalling" and people were "rightfully angry".

"Zoey [Salucci-McDermott] asked for more resources and he turned his back on her," the Bega resident said.

"That's why we thought cricket might be the way to his heart.

"There was a Hawaiian dress code. We raided Op Shops for Hawaiian gear so he'd feel at home.""

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

10. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

How are we going to be able to feed people in the future, when the population (world wide) keeps increasing at such a rapid rate.
    Overpopulation I fear far more than CC.

Marg4000, Stoffo and paulF like this.
  11. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

How do people believe will this impact the Australian economy?
    It’s almost like Australia is at war right now
    And the federal and state governments have a lot of spending to do!

A lot of work and new jobs are going to come from this. Most temporary but the governments will need to establish new permanent departments.

Andrewjh likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The drought has a more measurable impact. No growth = No production and the circular issues are uninsurable.

For the fires some is insured and rebuilding will be a stimulus to those regions. Govt spending on poles, wires, roads, signs and rebuilding infrastructure will be immense. ScoMo has just put $2b in the can and its only a small amount of what is needed. The value of insured losses and Govt spending alone could be $20billion but could be far more - too early to say. Telstra / NBN has probably lost a few billion in pits, poles and wires and $0 of its insured. Electricty would be even more than this. And now its a "fix it at any cost" do and charge deal so the contractors can hit the ground.

The supply of poles will be a problem. The areas where the timbers are all fire affected. May need to be shipped from NZ. This happened when massive storms smashed newcastle 8+ years or so back. Maybe its time for concrete poles.

paulF and albanga like this.
  13. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

14. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

May be a few "suit handyman" listings coming up soon.

There is no factual proof of the contrary that man made co2 has any meaningful effect. Maybe you have some that no one else has.

15. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I do think there was a fair bit of tongue in cheek associated with that article; but granted he did come across as quite arrogant on occasions.

16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Scomo has now dedicated $2billion to a recovery fund. Somebody must have had a quiet word with him lol.

albanga likes this.
  17. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

There's more to the story, the ex head fire chief is a consultant now and is on the IPCC panel, he has also been asking to meet with the PM for a while. To say he has a conflict of interest is an understatement

18. Andrewjh

Andrewjh Well-Known Member

We used to think this, but technical improvements have reversed the trend. Look up More From Less by Andrew McAfee. A few good podcasts with him too.

wires should be buried. Our street has no visible wires and it’s such a peaceful sight. I think the subconscious effect of the visual clutter is more than we realise.

Toon and TAJ like this.
  19. SatayKing

A link where the is information which could help others regarding bushfire smoke. (see News at bottom of page)

Climate Change Institute |

The site also has other interesting stuff for those who can be bothered to read beyond mass media.

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Not as simple as that though.

I was just reading that there is a level of catastrophic fire that is unaffected by fuel reduction burns. In other words not prevented or slowed down.

Also, from what I’ve been reading even with the best will in the world, not all planned burns can be completed safely due to the weather.

This means that regularly only a percentage of the planned burns are conducted.

This is no ones fault - but just the reality that burns can’t be done when it’s too wet or too dry...

Serveman and KateSydney like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.