NSW fires

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Kangabanga, 11th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I believe several in the north of the state were, but most of the big ones were started from lightning strikes.

TAJ likes this.
  2. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

Plenty started through RFS back burns they’ve lost control of too.

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

It's been a little embarrassing for Sco Mo all these bushfires. If someone doesn't want to shake your hand , don't force them lol.

Curious2019 and balwoges like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If he hadn't washed his hands after shaking hands with the unemployed I wouldn't shake it either. :rolleyes:

datto likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Temporary or long term unemployed?

6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Now, now. Be nice. He's probably still traumatised when coming back from hols and being told the pilot couldn't find Australia due to all the smoke.

datto likes this.
  7. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Last edited: 5th Jan, 2020
    datto likes this.
  8. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

For a lot of people that have strong beliefs about climate change and the effects on dry continents like Australia, they are probably looking for someone to blame with the lack of action thats been done over the last 10 years.
    Unfortunately many politicians only have a 3 or 4 year timeframe that they are really interested in.

9. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

looks like labor will be voted in the next election huh :D

10. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

No, it's not about blame.It's about inaction, lack of empathy from a supposed leader who is so detached from reality and about political stunts like the Cobargo incident. He had every opportunity in the world to try and manage this disaster better but instead, he chose not to do anything about it and it's all blowing up in his face now.

11. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Can you provide the info sources?

12. SatayKing

I've been disappointed by a number of politicians with some of their comments. The leader of the greens calling for a royal commission. That's a matter for later but not now. The leader of the opposition supporting the use of the ADF but then following on with a political "we wrote to the government about this on..." Irrelevant to the now.

Somehow I don't feel those on the fire grounds or affected directly or indirectly by this disaster could care less about political stances at the moment. They want and need resources including food, water, essentials. Now.

I have been listening to ABC regional radio which has been broadcasting from the area. Distressing really. Listening to one resident on Cobargo you could hear the person collapsing into despair as they felt they had been abandoned.

Assistance is happening but it's a huge logistical effort which is underway which takes time. For those such as me who observe from afar this is understandable. Not so for those surviving among the ashes.

13. SatayKing

hieund85 likes this.
  14. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just another ill-judged decision thinking the problem will go away and zero understanding about the way people in the bush live,i think the PM is very lucky if this would have been in nth nsw as there is only one way in and one way out it would have ended in more then a expletive ridden tirade ..

datto likes this.
  15. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

I feel that the population is also lulled into extraordinary expectations from the media. In the past when we had state based television, the population knew that the premier and fire commissioner controlled the fires in the state. It as we now have nation tv, it is cheaper to get the pm only who is three degrees of separation from the commissioner to the premier to the PM.
    So state matters now involve the PM. I think it’s time to call quits on state politics, they don’t seem to be responsible for anything and Daniel Andrews media interview yesterday was a Blame scomo if ever I saw one.

luckyone and SMTY like this.
  16. Lions4Eva

Lions4Eva Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see the next round of polling.

17. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

I think with longer, hotter summers and bushfire seasons we'll see a trend towards more Australians taking their regional vacations in cooler months.

The letter former NSW fire commissioner and emergency chiefs sent to Scott Morrison in early September warning of what was to come. Ofcourse the reality didn't suit the ideological narrative so it was ignored, no meeting took place.

Imgur

Last edited: 6th Jan, 2020
    Joynz and SatayKing like this.
  18. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

A lot of people do , but its to places like Jindabyne, Perisher and Thredbo etc etc.
    For many tourist operators along the South coast all the way down to Eden have probably lost over 80% of their 2020 peak season earnings that they earn from Boxing day till school holidays finish, this shortfall cant be made up for another 12 months.

George Smiley likes this.
  19. SatayKing

Before Christmas I was talking with person who has for many years been involved in climate research. Usually a very moderate person. Not this time however. He stated very clearly I hate them. All of the ******s have been provided time and time again with the data detailing the trends, likely consequences and various solutions.

The tone quite surprised me.

I'm guessing there is going to be the mother of all ***tfights.

trinity168 and George Smiley like this.
  20. SatayKing

Maybe. If the destruction is extensive as first seems, the recovery will be long.

And it may not be in the form many hope or expect if the ecology has been trashed such as soil (or what's left of it) has been sterilised through the heat and many other impacts which are yet to be understood. What was has probably gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.