NSW - Duplex Min Width

Discussion in 'Development' started by CK_Invest, 25th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. CK_Invest

CK_Invest Well-Known Member

Hi

With the kind of recent ruling on minimum blocks being 12m wide at the front, is there any chance in getting a duplex approved if it is just under 12m ? e.g. 11.8m?

Anyone had any luck?

For info, the land is zoned R3 in Randwick, rectangle block around 420sqm

Thanks

2. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

What recent ruling? SEPP 3b? If so 12m is 12m. I also believe 12m must have different access for garage (either corner or rear lane)

If the council is allowing 12m then they may consider - I don't see how you can build a duplex on a 11.8 m lot - the garages would dominate the front facade - most NSW councils do not allow this

The_Billy likes this.
  3. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

You should speak with a townplanner locally whether they have had any luck on other developments.

Will it be 2 storey?

Depends on whether it is 2 storey, you could have a double garage if there is justification that the garage will not detract from the overall look of the fascade.
    On a 12m or 11.8m lot with 900mm setbacks you would have 10.2m of fascade, so 2x 2500mm roller doors would just come in under 50%.
    There my be option for zero-lot boundaries as well

4. CK_Invest

CK_Invest Well-Known Member

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction

Yes I am thinking of two story duplex and potential granny if possible

I just checked a randwick council guide which states for R3

The minimum frontage width for allotments resulting from the subdivision of land within Zone R3 (Medium Density Residential) for the purposes of dwelling houses is 9m.

So I might be able to do it.

If anyone has contacts or experience with building and planning duplex in randwick council area give me a shout.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. +men

+men Well-Known Member

Hi @CK_Invest

How did you go with the duplex project? Did you end up go ahead building?

As per above discussion, the min frontage of "dwelling houses" is 9m in R3. My understanding is "dwelling house" and "duplex/ dual occ" are 2 different thing.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

6. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

I tend to agree... you are likely right.... but the OP should seek planning advice to be sure. What "may" work better for the site is a rear set dual occ. ie house at the front , secondary dwelling / granny at the back via side path access.... but the lot depth hasn't been disclosed so its hard to say . If there is rear lane access ( which I assume there is not) a fonzie type of arrangement might work as well...

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 6.01.58 pm.png