NSW NSW Council Mergers

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Sashatheman, 21st Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

"The state government last week reiterated its determination to reduce the 152 councils currently in NSW.

Mr Baird told a hostile audience at a Local Government NSW conference that fewer councils would mean "we have hundreds of millions of dollars that we can put to work for our ratepayers".

The NSW government asked IPART in April to assess whether or not councils met criteria meaning they were "fit for the future".

The process has been controversial, with many councils perceiving the looming threat of forced amalgamations, while IPART's methodology has come under fire.

Sydney councils deemed fit for the future
    Auburn, Burwood and City of Canada Bay (merger proposal)
    Bankstown
    Blue Mountains City
    Camden
    Penrith City Council
    Randwick and Waverley (merger proposal)
    Sutherland Shire
    The Hills Shire
    Wollondilly Shire

Sydney councils deemed unfit
    Ashfield City Council
    Blacktown City Council
    Botany Bay Council
    Campbelltown City Council
    Canterbury City Council
    Fairfield City Council
    Hawkesbury City Council
    Holroyd City Council
    Hornsby Shire Council
    Hunters Hill Council
    Hurstville City Council
    Kogarah City Council
    Ku-ring-gai Council
    Lane Cove Council
    Leichhardt Municipal Council
    Liverpool City Council
    Manly Council
    Marrickville Council
    Mosman Municipal Council
    North Sydney Council
    Parramatta City Council
    Pittwater Council
    Rockdale City Council
    Ryde City Council
    Strathfield Municipal Council
    Sydney City Council (as a Global City)
    Warringah Council
    Willoughby City Council
    Woollahra Municipal Council

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/ipart-report-the-sydney-councils-facing-the-axe-20151020-gkdce0.html

What does everyone think of these proposed mergers. I didn't realise how extensive the council amalgamation proposal was. I live in the Blacktown council, and was surprised to see that it was found "unfit" in the IPART's report.
    The advantages I definitely see is in cost savings due to economies of scale, and removal of repetition.

I think people that oppose these mergers argue from the stand point of having their council deluded by less privileged or profitable councils. But that should not be a reason to not go ahead. Anyone else oppose this on other grounds?

What impacts will this have on property investors? For example, more/less restrictive regulations?

2. THX

THX Well-Known Member

haha why would anyone be surprised to find Blacktown council unfit? :D

Sooner the better I say, and if Clover goes, break out the champagne.

3. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

It's pretty ridiculous that, say, one small suburb in Sydney (Hunters Hill) is it's own local government area.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I would hate for my local government to merge with Auburn.... its already been demonstrated that there is a gross misuse of power in that council.

beachgurl and RetireRich101 like this.
  5. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Hopefully by merging we can remove the misuse as they won't have one ethnic majority. At the same time there it's danger of them corrupting decent councils too.

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Burwood is similar, you could almost count the streets in one hand
    There must be some nervous dead wood floating around! The back stabbing and mud slinging will be in full swing to save their "jobs"

7. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

I hope we can avoid being merged with Canterbury Council, another bunch of corrupt pricks... but since Bankstown is apparently fit that doesn't leave much hope for avoiding Canterbury. Boo! :-(

8. AndrewTDP

Mosman as well.
    And North Sydney
    Well, you get the picture.

The worst Council to deal with for small projects is City of Sydney. In now way a global city - even Wyong accepts electronic lodgement. Sydney you need to print everything off 4 times, and actually deliver it in person to Council staff who have been trained to refuse an application on very trivial grounds.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I won't complain about the forced amalgamations, pretty much inevitable.

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what percentage of staff actually live in the council area they work for?

You could argue that bigger council areas may lose that "community spirit " and knowledge but given that nowadays it's just about getting a job and brown nosing your way to the top that argument is no longer valid

11. AndrewTDP

Particularly in the Sydney Councils. I'd like to see someone who works for the maintenance team at Hunters Hill Council actually living in Hunters Hill...

12. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Bigger is better for councils. They get access to better staff can plan better and are more able to be scruitinised by media etc. It also generally means they become more efficient ( efficient being a relative term...).

This should have been done years ago in Sydney.

13. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Why can't the State Government allow residents to vote about whether they wish to amalgamate and with whom.

At the end of the day they are the ones paying the rates and putting up with the services.

Hornsby Council are treating this ad a done deal and are selling everything they can in Ward C as they expect to lose that area.

Not good for the locals.

14. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Amalgamate most councils and remove the state government. Imagine how much money we can save!

serendip, hobo, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@devank - not going to happen. Federal Government came about as an agreement between the states. No states = no federation, no starship enterprise.

@Chilliblue - referenda require a guided set of possible outcomes and questions. You can't ask an open ended question of 25 million people and expect a single answer.

16. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I don't know, I'm in two minds about this. I have lived in Strathfield Council, and in Canada Bay Council - Strathfield was dodgy as, Canada Bay (which was already the result of amalgamations) was awesome. CB had heaps of funding and was able to achieve a lot. Strathfield council had a link to the ICAC inquiry on its homepage. Strathfield was against amalgamation, but they really needed to be gotten rid of.

I now live in Newcastle Council, and it already covers a fairly massive area - as does Lake Macquarie council. If I thought this was anything more than a political bun fight, it might be worth considering. What I think would be more effective is to make the council areas bigger, and get rid of State government!

Cheers,
    Inertia.

David Kidston likes this.
  17. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Inertia.. Yes Strathfield council was doggy few years ago but I think they have cleaned up a little now.
    They seem to be doing lot of improvements lately.

inertia likes this.
  18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Money talks. We've all seen how much money that councillor at Auburn has to throw around... don't think he's broke just yet.

19. Jkat

Jkat Well-Known Member

I think that there are positives in the reduction of back end costs and duplication of services. I think the challenge with amalgamation is that by making large council areas the community feeling and provision of community services will struggle - it will be more difficult to know what the needs are of the community and to meet those needs.

David Kidston likes this.
  20. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates
    If the NSW Government was serious about this, they would also look at reallocating boundaries and reducing the number of councillors based on population.

Especially when the state is looking at pushing forward government of state matters onto local councils making them responsible for more than rates and looking after their areas.