NSW Campbelltown: still good to buy into?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by chrisdan, 8th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. chrisdan

chrisdan New Member

Hi,

Our family is currently looking to buy a 3 or 4br house to live in long term. One of the area we're looking at with our budget is Campbelltown and its surrounding areas. Is there any recommended good suburbs around that area that hopefully not overpriced yet and still have room for capital growth over the long run?
    Any areas to avoid also?

Regards,
    Chris

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

No one has a crystal ball but if long term you are thinking 10+ years you should be ok. Short term keep your snorkel handy.

scientist and Gladys like this.
  3. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

If you buy in sydney today, the house may be worth less than what you paid for it in 5 years time....

4. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi Chris,

Buying to live in is different from investing and property is a long term investment (noting you want to buy for the long term). Keeping the investment perspective, given where Sydney sits on the property clock (at 12 rather than 6) i.e. at peak, I wouldn't buy in Sydney.

However it will come down to your personal family circumstances and needs. If you have a family to look after with kids in school it may be different than a young couple starting out with not as many responsibilities.

Campbelltown is a CBD and a 50-55 minutes train to the city it's not bad...well I guess most "affordable" homes in Sydney are at that distance from the city.
    • What made you pick Campbelltown? Do you currently reside there?
    • What is your budget?
    • Is it a long term "home" purchase? Or do you intend for this property to become an investment later on?
    • What are your non negotiables for the purchase?
    • What are your negotiables for the purchase?
    MsAli

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Mar, 2016
  5. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,

I grew up in the area and it has changed a lot over the years. Some of the nicer areas to consider would be Glen Alpine, St Helens Park (both close to major shopping, public transport and hospital) or even out to Mount Annan for a few more parks nicer houses etc. What areas have you identified? Some no go areas (in general) that I would say for a PPOR would be Airds, Claymore and pockets of Ambarvale.

Mick.

6. TaylorChang

TaylorChang Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,

Between Campbelltown and Leumeah, you can pick up house around $450,000 - $550,000.
    Back in 2012/13, I was looking in the around area the house price was around $300,000 - 350,000 mark.

Don't expect the short term growth, if you do insist to buying the area.
    However, for family living in, the area has university, hospital, shopping center, train access to city, etc... despite some overly negative media report about the crime rate, I think it's not a bad place to live in.

If you look west to Narellan, Gregory Hills, Oran Park , the new house and land property is selling around $600,000 - $700,000. ( No train line service, but newer area )

Make sure you buying in a right price not the overly inflated price.

Good luck and let us know your house hunting :)

Tekoz likes this.
  7. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

I am not surprised that you are looking here, it makes perfect sense. There is not many affordable places to buy in Sydney and Campbelltown has everything you need to raise a family. Schools, hospitals, transport, shopping, recreational activities. I laugh to myself every time I hear people saying that the affordable places in Sydney are the ones that are going to drop- it just doesn't make sense. Buying a home here is a safe bet.

8. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

At least when you buy in the Campbelltown and Leumeah area, you will find a good bargain.

December 2017: 3/2/1 house in Leumeah area was sold at $700k.
    and now it should be in the vicinity of $600-650k vicinity.

I'm pretty sure you will see some bargain in this area since it is listed as the Mortgage stress suburb in various different websites:

Maps: Where mortgage stress is worst in Australian capital cities

Australian mortgage stress by postcode - MacroBusiness

South-west suburbs of Greater Sydney top households with housing stress: DFA

9. Ross 355

Ross 355 Well-Known Member

I agree mate.st Helen's park is great value

10. TaylorChang

TaylorChang Well-Known Member

Personally, i think Campbelltown and Leumeah are great area for investment and maybe it's low social economic area, but if you drive around the area is not as bad as people think. At least i don't mind to live there and pay off my own mortgage faster.

Tekoz likes this.
  11. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I agree. I think Campbelltown will do really well once airport and surrounding commercial estates are built. It will provide employment and huge amounts of amenities close by.

Ross 355 likes this.
  12. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

The area seems to be holding up reasonably well

Ross 355 likes this.