NSW Buying an existing home with only Interim Occupancy Certificate

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Vijay1, 8th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Go No go ?

Poll closed 15th Sep, 2020.
  1. Go-ahead

50.0%
  2. Nope

50.0%
  1. Vijay1

Vijay1 Member

I'm close to signing a contract but my solicitor gave me a heads up there is no final occupancy certificate from the current owner. The interim occupancy certificate states only landscaping is pending, agent advises that is completed and council person needs to certify in a week.

Do I wait until the final OC before signing the contract or go head now? There is a cooling off with refund.

How do I know if the current owner will stand by their words. They are not ok to put OC completion clause in the contract.

House is 4 years old.

Please advise.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I’d want to know why the completion clause can’t go on the contract if it is expected in a week. Sounds suspicious to me.

craigc and Propertunity like this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

That's really strange.
    It's a little odd too, that the house has presumably been lived in for 4 years with no final OC.
    If it is only landscaping - does the landscaping look done to you?
    Worst case scenario would appear to be: landscaping not done and you need to do it. Does the deal still stack up if you have to finish the landscaping at your own expense?
    Also if the agent says that the landscaping is done, and it turns out not to be the case, you would have a claim against the REA to make good on the landscaping at their own expense.
    Personally, I'd probably proceed to purchase, but cautiously.