NSW Building Warranty - Does it cover wall tiles that are loose?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by qonyx_sydney, 24th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. qonyx_sydney

qonyx_sydney Well-Known Member

So heres the deal.

Our PPOR was completed in June 2011 by Mirvac. One of our bathroom wall tiles 600x300 has cracked and fallen off and there are a couple others that are loose and will likely fall off in the medium term.

When i submitted a warranty claim, Mirvac mentioned that the warranty that would have covered this would be their 2 year warranty.

Does anyone know the details of legislative builders warranty and whether these loose tiles would have cover this?

Thanks in advance......

2. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

qonyx_sydney likes this.
  3. qonyx_sydney

qonyx_sydney Well-Known Member

4. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I can understand limits on warranties, but wall tiles cracking and falling off after a few years is disgraceful.
    I reckon if you make some noise about it they may fix it for you.
    Good luck.

5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Make a formal complaint in writing higher up. We finally have our PPOR builder rectify an issue 11 years on and only because we have been complaining in writing all that time (they had tried some minor patch up but no one ever worked).

Through back one of their lines:

Mirvac..."commitment to quality goes beyond design, construction and community initiatives. Mirvac takes a personalised approach to customer care, providing you with the highest level of service.."

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If it's the failure of the glue on the tiles, this usually is covered by a product warranty not the building warranty

7. Quantumlip

Quantumlip New Member

Hi qonyx,
    This might be too late. But I think Mirvac misled you. As your house is built in 2011 you should still have 7 years warranty on everything. I extracted the below paragraph from NSW Fair trading, please have a read. The link to this is at the bottom. I have a problem with my own property and the builder is telling me the same rubbish about warranty. I've called NSW Fair trade to confirm, you should too. Good luck.

"For contracts signed on or after 1 February 2012 the statutory warranty period for major defects is 6 years, and 2 years for all other defects. If the loss becomes apparent in the last 6 months of the statutory warranty period then the home owner has a further 6 months from becoming aware of the loss to enforce the statutory warranty.

For contracts entered into before 1 February 2012, the statutory warranty period was 7 years for all building work defects."

Resolving_building_disputes

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia