NSW 2023 State Election. Predictions on winners and reasons why

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Phoenix Pete, 19th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

I'm tipping 'Gold Standard - lol' Gladys won't be Premier after the next election. This may be due to her being ousted by her party before the next election, or by electoral annihilation if she's still at the helm.

Her horrendous handling of the pandemic, along with her dealings with her ex-boyfriend MP, are going to be her undoing after being in such a strong position pre-COVID. It's a spectacular fall from grace.

What do you think?

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  2. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I still think Liberal will win the next election as by then we will all be living with COVID, and Labor doesn't have strong leadership (yet). The question is whether Gladys still wants to be the leader. I feel that she really wants a rest once the whole NSW is open up after vaccination targets are met. She must have been burnt out by now.

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

2023 is a zillion years away, when it comes to politics

Sackie likes this.
  4. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

She’ll win again. People still like her.

5. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

If she survives a spill attempt on the "exit" of the pandemic issues (ie when vaxxes are up and restrictions are lifting), then she will probably make it through the next election. People have shown time and time again that they dont care about corruption, pork barrelling, jobs for the boys, etc.

mtat likes this.
  6. Tattler

I have to say that most people still like her as she just gets the job done. The only issue I can see is her handling of the current outbreak. I still think she is the right person to lead the state even with this outbreak.

7. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Anyone can be a genius with hindsight. Her methods worked in the last few outbreaks. She’s got compassion and tries to think of all Australian’s which is why she didn’t go down the extreme lockdown pathway in the beginning. Even with the restrictions, she thought people would do the right thing. It’s unfortunate that the selfish few have ruined it for everyone else.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'll be registering my Senate ticket running under the Team Delta banner.

So far we have had great support from India, UK, China and SW Sydney and making a break in western NSW.

It's catchy. :oops:

Phoenix Pete and geoffw like this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

2023 is a lifetime away. Anything could happen by then.

10. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

100% of past NSW Premiers who have been witnesses in ICAC investigations (not necessarily targets of the investigation) while they were premier didn't make it to the next election.
    Will Gladys be the exception?

11. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Labor needs to flip more than 5 seats to win the elections on their own.

A few factors that could go in Labor’s favor:

- Increase in migrant voters: Immigration surge from 2011 means we will have record numbers of new Australians voting for the first time in state elections. A vast majority of migrants are labor voters and Liberals have made things worse for themselves with each one of major migrant groups (China virus, threats to jail Indian travelers, sending troops to Southwest Sydney and long term border closures in general). Whether this would get Labor new seats will really depend upon changing demographics in some of the marginal seats.
    - Arrogance around infrastructure projects: For example, stopping Hills buses and refusing to listen to community despite multiple social media campaigns did a lot of damage for Liberals in Northwest Sydney. One of the organizers of those campaigns has now entered politics due to the leadership vacuum left by liberal absence in engaging with community.
    - Handling of Covid: This is yet to be seen fully and can go either way from here.

My prediction is that Liberals will still win but with narrow majorities this time - they are definitely going to get a lot fewer votes in total.

bamp and inertia like this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

My prediction is the NSW election will be deferred again (now December but I say March) due to COVID. Gladys wont want people lining up to vote reminded of the issues. Her exuse will be ""we want people lining up for vaccinations, not votes""

inertia likes this.
  13. Tattler

You are referring to the council elections, right?

Lizzie likes this.
  14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Is Bob Carr still around?

inertia likes this.
  15. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Prediction:

General voter dissatisfaction gives rise to a third party. They've got radical ideas on how to reduce the social security bill and thereby bringing the budget into a surplus. The create an annual holiday to herald in these reforms...

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

He drove off into the sunset.

datto likes this.
  17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Ahh! he's with the KGB.

[​IMG]

" I'll bring the chicks, you bring the vodka"

"Deal"

Scott No Mates likes this.
  18. Phoenix Pete

Well well well....!!!!!!!!!

19. Phoenix Pete

Interested to see the views now after the absolute shambles of the Sydney Trains debacle and the rise of opposition leader Chris Minns.

20. Phoenix Pete

The rise of Chris Minns has taken him all the way to the top. If he and his government can perform under the spotlight then it'll be a while before the Lib/Nat coalition sit to the right of the speaker in Parliament again.