NRL - Reinstating the National Anthem

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 29th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Are there people out there that actually like Australia's National Anthem as a song, politics aside?

Jeez it has only been our Anthem since 1984, did not know that.

inertia likes this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The next spanner in the works apart from the ''National--Anthem'' and football is the issue of copyright of the ABORIGINAL flag that has been displayed for half a century..
    Harold Thomas who conceived the flag as it was reproduced freely until 2018,when the exclusive right were sold to wam Clothing and now require those to pay to use the Flag in sport and t-shirts ect..imho..

Lindsay_W and Lizzie like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, Buddy Franklin got into hot water over this issue

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

IIRC in NSW it goes "I feel like a Tooheys or two", in Victoria "Up there Kazaley"

5. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

As kids we used to sing the national anthem and recite the pledge at school assembles. The Primary purpose document in the department of Education Philosophy statement clearly stated and implied that western democracy was based on allegiance to God, Queen and Countru.
    I think this push to remove the anthem is part of the ideology that is infecting the corporate world, educational institutions and many media organisations as they try to engineer everyone and tell us how we should think.
    If we are not happy with Advsnce Australia Fair maybe start a conversation on this. We do have Welcome to Country at these sporting events as well,

Last edited by a moderator: 31st Oct, 2020
    MTR likes this.
  6. IrishDigger

IrishDigger Well-Known Member

Last edited: 31st Oct, 2020
  7. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

They know the words

Shazz@ likes this.
  8. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

What's the point of a counter argument when one has such dogmatic, narrow minded, and uneducated views? I doubt you will listen- you'll just come up with another silly post, but since you ask, here it is:
    1) What does how someone gets paid have anything to do with the right to protest? For your information, the players who refused to sing the anthem did not impose their views on anyone else. They made no demands to the NRL. In fact the NRL, decided not to play the anthem as they felt it wasn't inclusive, and it's not an international event, so therefore it doesn't warrant having the national anthem played. The reason it was over turned was because the prime minster and the general public wanted it played.
    2) I find it hilarious you talk about getting paid by 'white men's money", when white men's money was obtained by pillaging and looting the countries they have invaded. Just look at where the crown jewels came from as an example. Not to mention the slave labour it took from those countries to build their nations. Oh and in Australia, the economic prosperity you talk about, was derived from its natural resources, amongst other things. One could argue those natural resources actually belong to the traditional owners of the land, don't you think?

I didn't realise we lived in a communist country. It's one choice whether they sing an anthem or not. In fact, a lot of white players also don't sing the anthem. The media don't jump and down about that. Everyone has the right to protest on social issues. In fact the action of these players are opening up a dialogue. It's no different to the NRL/AFL taking a knee for the black lives matter issues. Naomi Oskaka at the US open did something similar. Hell, even the tour of France had a black rider lead the start of the race on the final stage as the organisers want to recognise that black lives matter.
    These athletes utilise their position to raise awareness of these social issues as they are speaking up on behalf of the broader community who are not always able to do this.

And therein lies the problem. It's 'you" or "they" when it really should be "we".

Hetty, wylie, abc and 2 others like this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I don't care whether they are black, white, yellow or green. I don't watch NRL & don't know the players, so until this thread started was not aware that they were indigenous, but that is irrelevant. My stance remains, that whether you like the song or not (I don't), it is a sign of respect.

As a sport that has many people looking up to them, they should be held to a high level when in the spotlight. I see that as part of their 'job', as a high level NRL player, and not a personal choice.

Mws, jared7825 and JetstreamVic like this.
  10. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

Ahhh Shaz.....

try living I a modern day world. The current money that people receive is not money that has been raped and pillaged. It’s from hard working people, they go to work and then want to spend some money on entertainment.

people don’t want the political correct bs that goes on in sport currently. They want to watch supreme athletes do things we can’t.

I actually agree a lot with skater, these sports hero’s are leaders and our children look up to them. But their role is not to give political statements.

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Nov, 2020
  11. IrishDigger

IrishDigger Well-Known Member

12. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

It’s also a sign of respect to have a national anthem that everyone can sing loud and proud. What’s wrong with changing a few of the lines which are offensive?
    Look at the NZ national anthem- one whole verse is in Maori and yet, everyone sings it in their country.

abc, inertia, qak and 2 others like this.
  13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Umm.....what is offensive?

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The "young and free" bit - as it's the oldest continuing culture in the world ... and a fair bit of the second verse

abc, Shazz@ and Perp like this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It's not so much what it includes, it's more what it excludes. It's a European centric sentiment, ignoring whatever was her before white "fair" Europeans settled here. "Young" and free? What about the people who were here many thousands of years already?

It's not as bad as it was however. The original was "Australia's sons let us rejoice" - and some of the original verses were really bad.

When gallant Cook from Albion sailed,
    To trace wide oceans o'er,
    True British courage bore him on,
    Til he landed on our shore.
    Then here he raised Old England's flag,
    The standard of the brave;
    "With all her faults we love her still"
    "Britannia rules the wave."
    In joyful strains then let us sing
    Advance Australia fair.

While other nations of the globe
    Behold us from afar,
    We'll rise to high renown and shine
    Like our glorious southern star;
    From England soil and Fatherland,
    Scotia and Erin fair,
    Let all combine with heart and hand
    To advance Australia fair.
    Advance Australia fair.

Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
    Or dare a foot to land,
    We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore,
    To guard our native strand;
    Britannia then shall surely know,
    Though oceans roll between,
    Her sons in fair Australia's land
    Still keep their courage green.
    Advance Australia fair.

And how many times would we use "girt" in an everyday conversation?

inertia, Shazz@, Perp and 1 other person like this.
  16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I can see where there may be an issue with the 'young' bit, although I'm sure most people are totally indifferent. I can't see how anyone can take issue with the 'free' part.

17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I remember that was the original.

LOL! I admit, it's an old fashioned word. I never did understand why/how this song was the chosen one, but we're stuck with it now, until they decide to update it again.

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There have been some attempts to update the words, but the official words remain.

19. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I only remember singing "God save the Queen" at my school in Lismore, shows how old I am.

Many countries have issues with their anthems. The national anthem in Spain Marcha Real has no words - avoids a lot of complex historical problems. Spectators from both teams drown it out here though, anthem not welcome at all in their provinces.

Shazz@ likes this.
  20. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

In my opinion, "We are Australian" captures the essence of modern Australia much better than our current anthem. It's relatable, inclusive and most people know the words.

wylie, inertia, Perp and 2 others like this.