NRAS Payments

Discussion in 'NRAS & NDIS SDA' started by smallbuyer, 26th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. smallbuyer

smallbuyer Well-Known Member

If a business acted the way the govt has with NRAS people would be calling fair trading. Who does one complain about the govt to (that will listen and do anything)?

2. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

I just called Horizon Housing and asked about 2014/15 NRAS payment and, surprise surprise, they are going to be delayed for at least 2 months. This is outrageous, and the fact that no one takes any ownership and passes the buck is beyond a joke.

3. smallbuyer

I have heard hopefully October

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You really should prepare the tax return and lodge it. Then amend to claim the NRAS credit at label 13 (Trust income) when its resolved.

5. smallbuyer

Depends if you have to pay money without the NRAS credit :) Definitely worthwhile if you will get a big refund without the NRAS.

They know what the NRAS credit should be every year. They should issue an interim NRAS credit in July and then let people do their tax in full. If you don't get approved they can claw it back with a amendment (or next year).

6. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

I will be doing my tax return as soon as possible as I need the money for a house deposit. Just need to have all my rental statements sent in and bank interest statements. I was wondering why A Current Affair haven't done a story on this NRAS problem. Then I thought about the tall poppy syndrome in Australia and it would be hard for a TV show to convince the public that us evil investors are being cheated out of $10500 tax free money.

7. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Euro hasn't responded to this thread yet. Generally he would participate any post mentions NRAS. Just like how Terry appears if you mention the word 'trust' :)

WattleIdo and Northy85 like this.
  8. Kaldek

Kaldek New Member

Hi folks. Another NRAS victim here, and still without my certificate from 2013-2014. It apparently ended up getting done but then there was an argument with the management company from DSS where the rent had apparently been raised when it hadn't.

I've waited too long carrying this mess around and am going to file my tax return followed by an amendment as described above.

9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    I would suggest lodging your return and claiming the incentive ( 75% of whatever amount you are entitled to) I'm aware of many many many of my clients who have done so and all have received their money. They will have to wait for the state component as it's not paid via the ATO, but they have received a refund for their neg gearing and 75% of their NRAS has been paid into their accounts as well.

10. euro73

It amazes me as well that more people aren't contacting media and MP's to complain. The Departments behaviour in delaying payments since the change of Govt has been disgraceful.

11. euro73

Its definitely a DSS issue as well. Even if you attribute some errors to the participants, the difficulties they have had in trying to remedy things have been almost insurmountable. All telephone communication between the participants and the department have been severed since the change of Govt. There is one helpdesk number and one email address and that's it. Add to that a series of failed software upgrades ( why reinvent a functioning wheel ?) forcing the NRAS participants to have to reload documentation over and over, resulting in massive bottlenecks and extreme communication difficulties. Then followed by delays in processing the bottlenecks because they culled most the staff ( as many may recall happened with the ATO as well, right before trying to pursue a "google tax" ) Straight out of a Yes Minister script!

If you've been trying to use MyGov for tax or Centrelink purposes in recent months you may be able to appreciate the types of issues facing NRAS providers for the past year and a bit.

Now they've finally hired contractors ( to replace the staff they culled) finally fixed the systems and are back on track. But it's been a very trying period and it's disgraceful how they've treated people.

12. Elimarie

Elimarie New Member

Hi Euro
    How do you claim the 75% on your tax return (do you have a recommendation for an accountant to do this?) I want to get my tax done in the next few weeks and was thinking I would have to amend it later on to get the payment, but you make it sound like we can get 75% of it now? Thanks in advance

13. euro73

You should discuss this with your accountant. Or if you use e-tax to do your tax yourself, the e-tax software asks you whether you are entitled to claim an NRAS incentive.

14. dingopip

dingopip Member

I also have not received any incentive for 2013-2014 nor has there been any confirmation that my property is compliant.

It has been a very long frustrating process. So very angry about the incompetence showed by everyone involved.

Euro - are you saying your clients claimed the NRAS incentive (75%) before it was confirmed they were compliant or afterwards? What is their property is not compliant, they'll just have to give it back.

15. euro73

Correct. Let the Govt chase you, rather than waiting around for DSS.

16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

NRAS credits are confirmed by your provider when its approved THEN you claim the credit at item13 of your tax return quoting the NRAS certificate number. The ATO are good at denying credits. . NRAS credits have typically been a year late. That what happens. You dont get anything gifted by the Govt. If you claim ahead of time you may be denied. NRAS credits are a matter between state and Commonwealth Gov.

17. hello1234

hello1234 Member

Besides NRAS, are there any other better/similar alternatives in gaining tax credits?

18. dingopip

dingopip Member

Anyone ever seen or heard of a provider asking an owner to cancel a property management agreement with a 3rd party? Because they do not want to deal with any NRAS property compliance issues unless they themselves manage it.

19. smallbuyer

how many have got their nras all done so far?

20. dingopip

dingopip Member

Anyone yet ?