NRAS granny flat?

Discussion in 'NRAS & NDIS SDA' started by gk999, 16th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gk999

gk999 New Member

Hi Guys, I have an NRAS property in Brisbane on a big block. I am wondering if the NRAS scheme allows to create a dual occupancy (e.g. granny flat). Has anyone tried this before?

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Yes it does...but the NRAS participant that is providing the main dwelling with the NRAS incentive, would need to provide one for the granny flat as well...

The problem with that idea is that the opportunity to transfer NRAS incentives between dwellings, closed on Dec 23,2014... so there is no way to move a full 10 year, unactivated incentive to the dwelling. This process is known as a " application to vary - change request"

However, what they could do is what's called a substitution , where an already activated incentive that is no longer being used in the NRAS, can be moved onto a substitution dwelling... This process is known as "application to vary - substitution request"

You'd have to approach the NRAS provider and see if they have had anyone withdraw a dwelling from the scheme, and then try and convince them to use your granny flat as a substitution dwelling for that unused incentive. They need to make a formal application to the Qld delegate and the DSS ( federal) delegate via the NRAS portal/FOFMS . You need the dwelling to have an occupation certificate and an NRAS rental valuation completed before the substitution request can be lodged ...so if you haven't completed the granny flat yet, you wont be able to try this.

3. gk999

gk999 New Member

Thanks Euro73 for the prompt response. You are a legend!!
    I will contact NAHC about the substitution request and let you know the outcome.

4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Best of luck...

5. MikeeIv

MikeeIv Member

If you go ahead with it and want to compare what is available I recommend using this place. Search - Helped me out loads when I was just starting on my project and looking for builders and the like. Oh and there is a bit more stuff on your question here. NRAS granny flat

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If in the Brisbane city council area then you are not allowed to rent the granny flat separately to the main house.
    Marg

Christina46 likes this.