Now this was a good investment!

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Hetty, 21st Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

2. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

"She's capitalised on her success even further by teaching courses on how to turn holiday rental ventures into a lucrative businesses."

Curious to know how many properties she actually has.

Or was it a one hit wonder.
    If it were to stop being profitable, can she replicate and scale the business.

TMNT and charttv like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

From the article, she is raking in a healthy six-figure income after expenses for the one property.

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Bloody good rental return. I’m amazed. I'm guessing there’s no home loan to repay given the place was so cheap to begin with. I think she hit gold because of the shack’s location.

Re: Short stay accommodation, a fair proportion of the population could easily host if they have the inclination, it’s definitely not rocket science. And if you get sick of it, you can outsource the day to day management (if it’s not a place you yourself live in).

Anyway, I’m staying at someone’s Airbnb in Canberra for 2 nights and I’m thinking the host would be doing well out of it since she is renting out 2 rooms this way. Basically a room rents for min. $50 a night. Easy money. And you can decide to stop hosting if it all becomes too much/you get sick of it.

Propin and Marg4000 like this.
  5. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

No home loan because it has paid itself off several times over.

I think it’s profitable because of social media. People would love going somewhere remote and posting pics on insta.

Propin, David_SYD, Redwing and 2 others like this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Many people (myself included) would be worried about the security aspect of allowing somebody into your house, especially if you weren't at home all the time they were. Sure, Airbnb has insurance, but it would be easy for a guest to pocket something small without you ever noticing.

wylie and Marg4000 like this.
  7. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

You could be right. She might have lucked out with one property on first attempt.
    I think the short term letting industry is very fickle.
    Everyones taste is subjective.
    We always look for AirB&B places which are obscure locations; usually "rustic", and as a result always a lot cheaper - which we want - but we dont care so much about the quality - its just a bed. I am sure not everyone thinks this way.

TMNT likes this.
  8. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

found another article as i didnt belive the numbers
    Running a successful Airbnb and where you can earn the most money doing it - OpenAgent
    crazy numbers..400$ a night..sheesh

Propin, Hetty and Gockie like this.
  9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

its in my nature (and probably many others) to find holes in her plan,

but good on her for giving it a shot and thinking out of the square

but regardless of how many masters she has, im thinking it was a bit of one hit wonder with luck thrown in, unless shes managed to replicate it

good luck to her

Kelvin Cunnington likes this.
  10. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

Agree.
    Always good to see people taking action, and getting rewarded.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

We bought a three unit holiday let that is high yield. Not in Australia and a unique summer winter destinstion. Now all four. 25% to 28% net yield and we now are raising this to 32% plus. 100,% occupancy up from close to 80%. It's just a cashflow game and time is money. Not lotto. Just a high yield investment. Hard to repeat but we will in same area.

There are these places and they are very very specific and hard to identify. Location. location. Location

My tip...forget about buying in a area near home. Who cares. Chase cashflow. Tax benefits mean nothing too. No depreciation no neg gearing. Just cashflow. Income beats all thst

Curoch and Reddy like this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My neighbour had a granny flat behind their house built, no kitchen and since they first put it on airbnb a few months ago it's been fully rented. They haven't been asking for top of the range rent, I believe they can ask for more, but that decision is up to them. (He was quite amazed at what I get per night). Anyway, this is suburban Sydney. It's been people visiting other locals or even people from overseas holidaying in Sydney.

Now they are thinking of putting a second room on the platform.

13. Trikes

Trikes New Member

I have a double size room down stairs with a Bathroom and Kitchen. My Daughter is down there atm but what should I charge for it when she leave's? In Hobart.

14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That depends on where it is. Start a new thread with a few more details. It's possible it may be suitable for an Airbnb rental.

15. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Air Bnb is not rocket science and I’ve been doing ST rentals since I first became an investor 22 yeas ago.

But I’m currently running my converted garage as a holiday accom thru air Bnb and it’s not easy. Turnover takes an hour. Customer service is extreme and you get blackballed if you don’t reply within 18hr, so I was responding to inane questions on Christmas morning. 1/10 air Bnb customers are scammers or professional hacks, insisting on refunds the minute they checkout (they’re only eligible within the first 24hr)

I quit my job (haven’t needed to work as portfolio is now 5m) to take a break and spend family time but the air Bnb is demanding and customers unreasonable

I have over 10 friends who also air Bnb their places (we live on the beach in Sydney) and all have nightmare stories to tell. You can’t just run a hotel without costs and consequences

16. Reddy

Reddy Well-Known Member

Is this in nz ? Paul ?

17. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

It depends. If you are luck to consistently having angel-like customers, yes. But I have had customers smashing things. The worst is having someone to hire your place for their mate's 18 or 21 birthday. Then you don't know how many people come in and out until your beloved neighbour send you a video. Not to mention the cleaning up and the overflown bins...

Beano, Reddy and Propin like this.
  18. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

That AirBnB is insta-famous. Instagram "influencers" frequently do photoshoots there.

Curoch likes this.