Travel & Holidays Novotel Accor Vacation Club

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by ellejay, 15th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Has anyone joined this scheme where you pay up front for points to use on hotel stays for the rest of your life? Is it worth doing?

2. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

Timeshare by another name, is it not?

3. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Unless you use it more frequently than average, you'd be better off going onto Wotif and finding cheap hotel deals when you want to travel.

Simon Hampel and Ed Barton like this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

My father in law signed up to something like this - it was a scam and he lost $5k, which was a lot for him.

5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I would imagine that for the amount of days it allows you (or you actually have to to) stay there each year you would be better off putting your money in the bank upfront in an interest bearing account and booking a holiday each year on hotels.com or something

6. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I have a similar thing with Wyndham hotels but we can use it for other hotels and most countries around the world. We are off to Fiji again in September by using our points

ellejay likes this.
  7. House

House Well-Known Member

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You used to be able to buy them second-hand off purchasers who wanted to offload their memberships. We know a couple who bought one for $3000 and got their money's worth out of it before the Internet came along.

9. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

We got ours second hand and has been worth it for us. Yes, there are yearly fees but nothing is for free and it means we get to have quality accommodation for a very good price. In fact, my family is returning from a week ski holiday using our points- it was an awesome holiday! Having the points means we actually take holidays too- every summer and regular trips to the snow.

Brian84 and ellejay like this.
  10. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Second hand is probably the way to do it. We bought a timeshare in US years ago that was great for a few years and then went bad, were lucky to give it away. We didn't go for it this time around, but enjoyed being spoiled. I know these schemes can work really well as long as the original agreement isn't interfered with too much.