Notre Dame up in flames

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 16th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The Angel whose post I quoted.

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Boom Boom

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Hopefully they'd be open to helping me out when my P&I loans reset to IO. I own a few old properties I don't want to lose.

4. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

But even if they do rebuild it does it still hold the same significance? It will be a new building where the old building use to be...

I know their is more to it than that but a big part surely is the age of the building and how long it has stood??

I know I’ll likely get flamed for that comment but admittedly I’m not overly cultured when it comes to such things :p

I just know one day I’ll visit it and I’ll be reading a guide book which will say “Notre Dame Cathedral was build 2000 years ago but the building you see now was whipped up by Johnnys Carpentry”.

Gladys likes this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I read the article and It brought a tear to my eye......... And I'm not even french!

6. geoffw

It wasn't burnt to the ground. It was the roof in the middle which was burnt. The iconic face, and much of the structure, remains.
    16notre-dame-photos9-largeHorizontalJumbo.jpg

HUGH72, albanga and Lizzie like this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Firstly this Angel has no spare funds for any restoration work and if I did, I'd find my own project here in Australia. Those stone buildings in the Adelaide Hills get my heart racing'

This is an article I was reading this morning on the ABC website about restoration of damaged buildings. It points put there are many wonderful buildings that have been destroyed by wars and fires that have been restored and are still loved.

Would you visit a 'fake' Notre Dame? You're already doing it at other sites

geoffw likes this.
  8. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

There is one culture (maybe china or maybe japan? I can’t remember) where a site is significant, but the building not so much.
    So they will say for example ‘this site is 2000 years old’ then give a rundown of each of the buildings which were built over the years.

I think a similar thing will happen here.

Blacky

Sackie, albanga and Lizzie like this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We visited the magnificent St Catherine’s Palace in St Petersburg. It was burnt out when the Nazis fled at the end of WW2, with only the exterior structure left standing.

The Palace was meticulously rebuilt over the years, including the famous Amber Room. The only hint that the rooms weren’t original was a gallery of “before and after” photos when leaving the building.
    Marg

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The Japanese also have a beautiful practice of repairing broken items - such a broken pottery repairs with gold dusted lacquer. Wouldn't Notre Dame be amazing if they repaired any gaps with glass and steel (ergo Louvre)

Kintsugi: The Centuries-Old Art of Repairing Broken Pottery with Gold

Blacky likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

FWIW, the restoration will bring out a whole new training scheme and round of apprenticeships for the almost lost craftsmen like the stone carvers, wood carvers, lead lighters, journeyman carpenters, sprinkler fitters, operatic writers/singers, bell ringers etc.

Pity is to ensure the woodwork is authentic, they will have to salvage the timber from millions of French Oak barrels leading to a shortage of fine vintages from the aged casks.

Last edited: 17th Apr, 2019
    SeafordSunshine likes this.
  13. geoffw

I'm sure that they will be using technology - computerised stone carving and wood cutting, 3D printing.

A lot of the work to be done is in rebuilding the roof. I don't know that many people would be able to tell the difference between handmade and computer built up there.

14. geoffw

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

At least this time they will be able to insure it will never burn again ..

If there was a automatic H/P fire sprinkler system installed from the top down in the first place ,then only small section's would have been damaged..

The upside is all the people that will work on the re-build as the Scaffolding is already in place..

I have been in that church a few times,and the minute you walk in you can fell the vibe from the Sun King and French Emperor Napoleon ..

17. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Again I’m not admittedly very cultural but this to me has significance. The building was destroyed by the Nazis in the biggest ever war.
    Notre Dame was likely destroyed because some tradie left a dodgy drill charging overnight (I don’t know what caused the fire but it wasn’t a war).

18. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

19. geoffw

20. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member