Not sure whether to style or not

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by LouLou7, 7th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. LouLou7

LouLou7 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to put my house on the market very soon. It's had a full renovation (3 x 1) and looking within the price range of $550,000 - $600,000. I have my own furniture but I'm just wondering if it is worth styling the place. Anyone styled a PPOR or just used own furniture?

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Styling works wonders :)

We recently had a place styled for sale and got a good result - it cost a small fraction in comparison to the price we obtained.

The other issue with using your own furniture is that it might not appeal to a broader market.

Having said that - it might be a pain putting your current stuff in storage. I wonder if you can have a stylist/interior designer come around and make use of/add extras to what you already have?

Cheers

Jamie

LouLou7 likes this.
  3. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Styling can make a big difference to the end result. Perhaps ask the agents who come for an appraisal for their opinion. They would have a pretty good idea of the area and how effective styling would be in that market.
    Other than that, Jamie makes some great points above.

Sackie and LouLou7 like this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

This is going to very much depend on what your "own furniture" is like. Some people's PPOR is kept looking like a display home, other people, not so much.

LouLou7 likes this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Our son had his house styled for sale by his high-end real estate agent who used a mixture of our son’s furniture plus accessories from the agent. Son cleared out about a third of his furniture, relocated some pieces to other rooms.

Made a huge difference. Sold at the auction.
    Marg

LouLou7 likes this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We've just sold a place (it settled today). For this location, the agent advised only to style it if it looked like not selling. So it was exhibited empty - however I did get some painting and repairs of cracks, some landscaping and an automatic door put on the carport. We had a firm offer in less than a week from the first showing, at a price above similar properties in the area.

LouLou7 likes this.
  7. LouLou7

LouLou7 Well-Known Member

I will speak to the agents when they come for an appraisal. I would say our furniture is good enough but like people have said might not be to everyone's taste. Thanks for the comments so far.

Phantom likes this.
  8. JRJ

JRJ Member

While it may not need styling definitely clear out any clutter. We moved over half our house to a shed and it sold for what we wanted.

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Will you still be living in the house whilst selling? If you have hired/styling furniture many of them say you can't use it (especially bed linen/towels etc)

If you are living there then at a minimum get about 30% of your stuff into storage, declutter, declutter, declutter, have fresh coordinated bed linen, matching towels in bathrooms etc

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

As others have said - depends on your personal furniture.

Decluttering is essential, and remove any "personal" items such as daggy photos of the kids, wedding photos, plastic trophies etc ... make the space as unpersonal as possible.

If necessary, buy a couple of neutral coloured throw rugs for beds or sofas - white on white for linen - plain coloured doona covers - clean and totally clear benchtops.

Examples of a couple of different properties we've sold using out own furniture:

woodward1.jpg

elliott.jpg

Travelbug and Westminster like this.
  11. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I have never considered it before but decided to sell a 2 bed villa in Sydney and was worried about -end of boom, plus being winter. Buyer saw styled photos and wanted to buy it before the open home. Very similar one in complex was cheaper and has been on the market for 5 weeks. Sold!!! I'm about to put photos in the reno section. Under Villa reno

Westminster, Lizzie and Gockie like this.