Not Informing bank after converting PPOR to IP

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by kanad, 6th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

I have rented out my property that used to be my PPOR. It is a variable interest loan. I haven’t told the bank that I have rented out the property and it is IP now. Are there any implications if I don’t tell the bank. I don’t want to go interest only as it will require a new loan assessment and IO rates are high + I want to slowly pay down the loan anyway. I have a variable + fixed loan with another bank for my new ppor.

related question do I need to inform the VIC state revenue office as well for land tax purpose. I have moved state and my new ppor is in QLD.

2. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Your loan documents states you need to inform the bank of any changes to your loan. Butbif you do or not thats up to you, there isn't any penalties if you keep it as an OO loan.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Did you contract to inform them or get their permission?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would think you need to sort out the land tax or face penalties.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Yes, you do.

6. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Sometimes the bank works it out themselves and increases the interest rate. I had a client move out of her home and rang me complaining that NAB noticed that her address had changed and increased her rate.

Terry_w likes this.
  7. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

I have changed my address and that too at a branch. Let’s see if they notice it, specially that I am now in a new state. I didn’t really read the loan contract documents in details and have to dig them to read, but as long as there is not a crime I will not inform them.

8. Terry_w

hmmm.

Rekke likes this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You're gonna have fun if land tax has to be backdated.

wylie likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

CBA regularly print two messages on loan statements
    1. Insurance requirements.
    2. Requirement to seek permission to change property use from owner occupied for any other purpose.

11. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Do the right thing! I don't know why people think it's ok to be deceitful and dishonest.

12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Because there's money involved. Half a percent interest can amount to thousands of dollars every year. It's my observation that most people want to do the right thing, but this is often measured by the ability to comfortably afford being able to do the right thing.

Lots of people fail to inform the bank that they've moved, depsite the bank contracts stipulating that they must be informed. Even the bankers tell their clients not to inform them. Often the banks eventually figure it out and adjust the rates accordingly. I'm not aware of anyone ever being penalised by the bank or having to back pay interest.

However you should definitely be up front with the government. They will ask for back pay and they may penalise.

craigc and TAJ like this.
  13. RENI99

RENI99 Well-Known Member

We did the same changed PPOR to investment in Vic (3 years ago) and moved to new PPOR in QLD (2 years ago) -> changed addresses as required, Bank (Westpac) advised us about 18 months later that they would be converting the OO loans to Investment loans unless we had any reason to challenge this. No penalty or backdating just a change in interest rate from a future date.
    We also changed our address with the SRO however did not advise them of the change in PPOR to investment as we had incorrectly thought it was exempt or at least the SRO would work out what was due - this became a problem with backdated land tax and penalty. Mind you paying the overdue land tax in the year it became due worked out okay from a tax saving perspective. (always a positive side). They advised us of the issue 2 years after we had 1st rented the property, after our response to their questions they took 2 months to advise of the amounts due - and I think it was 6 months before it had to be paid. Luckily we did not have 3 years of Land tax to catchup on as the rental was from January.
    So dont risk the SRO as this will cause you a problem.

14. Terry_w